Battery Comparison Table - 110Ah Leisure option and specs.

DHutch

Featured Posts

While looking to replace out batteries I ended up making a reasonable compressive table of batteries, sizes, specs, costs. and some comparables, in order to attempt to score and or select the best options.

*Cost per Ah was included as a crude measure of 'value' but also as extreme outliers may promise undeliverable performance.

*Cost per kg was included because Lead is a significant part of the cost. functional, and eight in an VRLA battery hence. Dittp Ah/kg.

Obviously the comments and 'scoring' are my own, the data may contain errors, and the prices are as per summer 2021.

After much deliberation and considering the UK made Shield LM35-115, we decided to stick with what we knew and replaced 'like for like' with a set of  Yuasa L35-115 which is the same make and model as we used last time and got 15 years out of.

Hopefully it is of some use or interest to people, feel free to comment, and or add to, the table.

Daniel

Battery comparison.xlsx

I'm looking at replacing my batteries - that is really useful. You must have spent a considerable amount of time on it which is much appreciated.

One question though - the 'score' at least for the great, good and OK, seems to be counter-intuitive - zero for great, 1 for good and 2 for OK. Am I missing something? Probably! 😀

Edited by Rick Savery

I have found the cheapest Probat to last well over the last 7 to 8 years, even coping with one owner grossly mistreating a set. I have some in stock so I will try to weigh one.

Saw you getting up a head of steam in Thurlwood the other day, plenty to do.   Thanks for the comparisons, very useful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/09/2021 at 18:04, DHutch said:

While looking to replace out batteries I ended up making a reasonable compressive table of batteries, sizes, specs, costs. and some comparables, in order to attempt to score and or select the best options.

*Cost per Ah was included as a crude measure of 'value' but also as extreme outliers may promise undeliverable performance.

*Cost per kg was included because Lead is a significant part of the cost. functional, and eight in an VRLA battery hence. Dittp Ah/kg.

Obviously the comments and 'scoring' are my own, the data may contain errors, and the prices are as per summer 2021.

After much deliberation and considering the UK made Shield LM35-115, we decided to stick with what we knew and replaced 'like for like' with a set of  Yuasa L35-115 which is the same make and model as we used last time and got 15 years out of.

Hopefully it is of some use or interest to people, feel free to comment, and or add to, the table.

Daniel

Battery comparison.xlsx 20.37 kB · 81 downloads

Weighed a Probat 120Ah battery today and it comes in at a lowly 20kg.  Somewhat shocked as I find them to be good and long lasting. Unbeatable for the money though.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Weighed a Probat 120Ah battery today and it comes in at a lowly 20kg.  Somewhat shocked as I find them to be good and long lasting. Unbeatable for the money though.

Top 'em up before weighing 'em in like everyone else does ...

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Top 'em up before weighing 'em in like everyone else does ...

Would but they are properly sealed apart from the tiny emergency gas vent that is plugged when you buy them.  I have seen one submerged and it took in no water and suffered not a jot.

I have also turned one upside down for a while, no leak!

14 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Would but they are properly sealed apart from the tiny emergency gas vent that is plugged when you buy them.  I have seen one submerged and it took in no water and suffered not a jot.

I have also turned one upside down for a while, no leak!

Could they be valve regulated sealed lead acid batteries (AKA AGM's)?

If so there is no free liquid electrolyte within the battery box. It is recombined into water on the plates from the oxygen and hydrogen evolved during charging