winter times c cruisers

colin1325

Featured Posts

hi c cruisers what the hecky pecky do you all do in the long winter nnights . i have spent many hours over the years in the winter down by the lake . sometimes ive had more sleep down the lake than ive had at home . so come on girls and boys out there on the water what do u get up to on those long winter nights down the pub ???? tell us

i dont mean what do u do as in your personal life but u know watch tv play scrabble make paper boats, fish even

Well, I am not a C cruiser, but I don't have anything in the way of TV or that stuffs. I tend to paint, read and write which usually keeps me occupied for an evening....... If I get lonely which is pretty rarely and not very often if at all, I tend to pop along to the local hostillery for a lemonade and look at the locals. I don't think life aboard is that different to life not aboard a great ship of the inland waterways.

i dont mean what do u do as in your personal life but u know watch tv play scrabble make paper boats, fish even

Dont know about the long winter nights yet, however have just spent most of the short winter day stripping out the cabin and making a cross ways double bed.....stage one now complete and hope to finish it tomorrow. As for later, its a few mins on here catching up on new posts, then Most Haunted Live at 9pm. Might even treat meself to a couple of sherberts before bed.

When Swmbo returns at the weekend it will be much the same although we do get the cards or Risk out occaisionally and then obviously bed :blink:

Trying to get her to learn Cribbage at the moment, But she aint interested tut! :smiley_offtopic:

hi c cruisers what the hecky pecky do you all do in the long winter nnights . i have spent many hours over the years in the winter down by the lake . sometimes ive had more sleep down the lake than ive had at home . so come on girls and boys out there on the water what do u get up to on those long winter nights down the pub ???? tell us

ha ha ha, you know what they say, don't come a knocking when the boat's a rocking. When it's winter we just go to bed early and sleep well tee hee hee ;-)

D

As people have said, it's just the same as in a house. Only when you get bored there's nowt else to do, can't go in the shed and have a fiddle about, or the garage and mend/play with the car, or racing car etc.

Then when you want a drink you find the water tank is empty, so you have to move to the tap to fill up. You go to start the engine, only to find the batteries are flat. After a long walk to get some water to make a cuppa, you light the gas, but the gas cylinder is empty. You decide to light the fire, which you do.........eventually after finding you haven't enough logs left, and you are now pissin wet through as it's raining, because you've had to go foraging for wood along the bank.

Very toungue in cheek post :lol::):):clapping: but you get the idea.

However, in the morning you go to the next boat, who happily take a battery to get your engine going. The fire has warmed the boat, and dried your clothes, and the morning sun is just lifting the mist from the river so you look out onto a magical world. Another neighbour arrives with your new gas bottle, as he's had to go to the shop.

And so you have the reasons why people put up with all the hardships and expense of living afloat :cheers:

dont you mean when the battery runs out you take one from the boat moored next to you drain their water tank go cook breakfast then be on your bike quick . well according to the vandalls and crime post i cant say im surprised !!!sorry go cook breakfast on their boat6 obviously hang on someones coming better be off!!

If you think that's what I mean, I should seriously think twice about boating and take up some other hobby.

Boaters are one of the few communities left where you can leave your boat unlocked, with thousands of pounds worth of good lying around, and come back to find nothing has been touched.

If you think that's what I mean, I should seriously think twice about boating and take up some other hobby.

Boaters are one of the few communities left where you can leave your boat unlocked, with thousands of pounds worth of good lying around, and come back to find nothing has been touched.

Mmmmm.... :lol:

Mmmmm.... :lol:

Sorry Carl - that should read

Boaters are one of the few communities left where you can leave your boat unlocked, with thousands of pounds worth of good lying around, and come back to find nothing has been touched. By other boaters, or as long as the boats are on a secure stretch of waterway, or marina.

I was thinking specifically of Boston, where we have never locked our boats, and never lost anything (yet).

Sorry Carl - that should read

Boaters are one of the few communities left where you can leave your boat unlocked, with thousands of pounds worth of good lying around, and come back to find nothing has been touched. By other boaters, or as long as the boats are on a secure stretch of waterway, or marina.

I was thinking specifically of Boston, where we have never locked our boats, and never lost anything (yet).

I do agree that, in the main, the boating community is still one where we'll help each other out and our boats are, generally, safe, from other boaters.

But, Lucy's demise was down to the theft of my solar panels, meaning I could no longer keep her afloat.

Those panels are almost certainly now sat on the roof of another boat. There was plenty of stuff on my mooring that was far easier to steal, and in the non-boating world, far more sellable, if it had been kids.

Entirely agree Carl.

There are similar panels on a boat at Bardney (not yours LOL). I've often thought how vulnerable they are.

Btw, and I'm not for the minute suggesting you do this.......there are several chicken sheds in a field adjoining the kyme, each powered by solar panels AND windmills......for your replacement. Better still, same on roadside warning signs.

As the saying goes.....all it takes is one bad apple.

Sorry to go off topic, but speed cameras etc. and these warning signs have really got my back up. Now when my circumstances altered and I got a car/vehicle again I drove with economy in mind, so was quite happy to creep about at the speed limit, and hold everyone up.

But since the traffic police have been turned into tax collectors, and often snide ones at that, I tend to speed up a bit sometimes. I know. I've got to be carefull, but in a lot of villages around here there are new lower speed restrictions, or extended restrictions. So now instead of pottering along at say 35 to 40, I accelerate and try to do 60 before I exit the 30s. No doubt someone will be lying in wait one day, but...........and with the flashing warning signs to slow down, I ALWAYS try to go fast enough to make them light up. Had they not been there I would be going slower, as I know of the hazard.

And talk about the Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership. They've even been so stupid as to put up signs warning bikers of bends........'Oh great, bends, better speed up'. The mind boggles at the stupidity.

There is a co-op in Bardney, and coming out onto the road, which is right next to a bend both ways, there is a hedge blocking the view belonging to the house next door. After a year or two of struggling, as I often call here for a pint of milk and a bun etc. when going to the boat, I enquired and learned there seems to be some sort of dispute. Anyway I took the trouble, and spent some of my minute fortune on phoning the LRSP on my mobile, asking if something could be done about this obvious danger.............2 years on, NOTHING.

sorry to confuse,, i am sure that everybody here are super chaps but i did think that all things were rosy but from this forum i see that they r not yes i was tounge in cheek but i suspect they r out there

I suggest you edit that post, Malcolm - there's no guarantee that only honest boaters read these pages.

Actually most boats on the Witham are left UNLOCKED. This means if someone does 'break' in you get less damage to repair.

Boston ........ well they can take their pick now, until April as there are 0 boats there NONE. So slim pickings.

A couple of years ago someone did nearly lose their inflatable tender on the back. There is one of the worst estates across the river, and around 5am some of them swam across and tried to undo it..........needless to say, the dog woke the occupants up.

Oh, btw. I do lock my boat up. When you finally break through the door, or cut through with a pair of good wire cutters, or smash your way through the side with an axe.......here's what you will find.

Not everything, but basically, some cusions that came out of a skip, or was donated from an old settee. Old rope. Half empty cans of paint. A few 'plough' spanners, the sort that get left in the boot sales. A pair of cheap wellies.....size 6, so too small for most folk. Firewood, just small kindling really.

In other words ......... nowt worth having.

So I get the last laugh, whatever happens.

Edited by Supermalc