Hydraulic gearbox TM345A and ZF25A experience

Tresfjord 26

Featured Posts

Im considering a 8 degree down angle gearbox for a new Vetus 52hp engine and it seems that my options are technodrive tm345a or a hurth zf25a. 

What kind of experiences have users had with theese gearboxes? (tm345 and zf25 are the same box except they have a straight shaft output)? Any problems i should know of? How many engine hours they usually last? Any oil leaks? Shaft freewheeling in neutral? Etc

Its for a planing hull 5.8m x 2.1m.

Edited by Tresfjord 26

Showing my ignorance but aren't most / all CANAL boat engine goearboxes zero degrees - otherwise they'd be scraping all the rubbish off  the bottom

edit: Aha I notice the OP is furrin' and presumably not on OUR canal system...

Edited by OldGoat
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Showing my ignorance but aren't most / all CANAL boat engine goearboxes zero degrees - otherwise they'd be scraping all the rubbish off  the bottom

edit: Aha I notice the OP is furrin' and presumably not on OUR canal system...

Since the OP has a planing hull he would find many canal users to be unhappy if he goes past on the  step.

Whilst I share Tracy's dislike of Hurth boxes in general, but that is for canal work.  I suspect a planing craft has far fewer gear changes and makes the gearbox do much less work. It should also see much less debris in the water.

N

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Since the OP has a planing hull he would find many canal users to be unhappy if he goes past on the  step.

Whilst I share Tracy's dislike of Hurth boxes in general, but that is for canal work.  I suspect a planing craft has far fewer gear changes and makes the gearbox do much less work. It should also see much less debris in the water.

N

While its a planing hull and its never going to have as many gear changes as a canal boat I still want to get the best and most robust gearbox available. Prm 150 is not available with a 8 degree down angle.

No one has answered my questions yeat.

14 minutes ago, Tresfjord 26 said:

While its a planing hull and its never going to have as many gear changes as a canal boat I still want to get the best and most robust gearbox available. Prm 150 is not available with a 8 degree down angle.

PRM 750A  is 8 degree down angle.  Bomb proof.

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

PRM 750A  is 8 degree down angle.  Bomb proof.

It seems like i solid unit! Unforetunately its a bit too heavy for my aplication. I have to consider the weight. TM345A and Zf25A are about 25kg while prm 750A is over 70kg!

16 minutes ago, Tresfjord 26 said:

Maybe that is because you posted it on a UK inland (canal) boating forum. You may do better on the YBW  forum.

As you have been told, Hurth do not have a reputation for longevity in inland use, but that may be because of fitting boarder line specification boxes.

Likewise, you have been told Technodirve boxes are noisy and I will add not particularly liked for inland use.

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Maybe that is because you posted it on a UK inland (canal) boating forum. You may do better on the YBW  forum.

As you have been told, Hurth do not have a reputation for longevity in inland use, but that may be because of fitting boarder line specification boxes.

Likewise, you have been told Technodirve boxes are noisy and I will add not particularly liked for inland use.

Never heard/read anywhere about hydraulic technodrives beeing noisy. Have you witnessed this or heard etc?

41 minutes ago, Tresfjord 26 said:

Never heard/read anywhere about hydraulic technodrives beeing noisy. Have you witnessed this or heard etc?

As I would avoid both makers you mention is at all possible because of inland reputation, I have no personal experience of those boxes. I did have a Spanish built ZF box that proved very reliable apart from a slight clunk into gear, but from hire fleet experience I would always choose PRM or Velvet Drive. Both hydraulic boxes. (For our members I also like the LH150 box but its not applicable for this poster).

There are reports on this forum about noisy Technodrives. It seems they tend to clonk into gear and at least one member here changed his for another make, but remember this is inland UK boating where even when not locking you could easily be in and out of gear in bridge holes and when locking many times while in the lock. It has been said that for UK canal boating, one should specify the gearbox for commercial operation. As your boat has few similarities with UK inland boating (apart from on the Thames at displacement speed) you would be far better asking in the YBW forum where the salty water boaters lurk.

Edited by Tony Brooks