Launching into River Weaver

Jake29

Featured Posts

Do a search here - the options on the Weaver are 'limited'

Boatlaunch

Basically Winsford flash is not suitable.

Is the boat on a trailer ?

Do you have a C&RT licence ?

Slipway Name: River Weaver ~ Winsford Bottom Flash (Slipway)

1399___Source.jpg
PreviousNext

Latitude: 53.19041471744

Longitude: -2.51697421073914

Description: Updated by DMS ~ June 2013 Slipway access: - Public, owned by Cheshire West and Chester Council, and unrestricted within the parking limits. Type: - Good concrete slipway ~ built over the bank. (Photo’s below) Slipway useable width: - 14 Mts Length of the slope above the water: - 2.5 Mts Drop to the water: - 50cm Gradient above the water: - 1:5 Length of the slope below the water: - 2.5 Mts Depth at the end of the underwater slope: - 50cm Underwater gradient: - 1:5 What’s at the end of the concrete: - Sudden drop to 70cm, then a gradual deepening to beyond 1 Mtr. Quality and surface of vehicle manoeuvring area: - Compacted gravel and grit of excellent quality. Amount of manoeuvring space: - Enough and quite easy to use. Crew boarding facility: - 50 Mtr long concrete wharf, difficult to use as it’s protected by a 1 Mtr high substantial steel fence to prevent children falling in the water. Canoeists can use the 20cm high rough concrete blocks by the wharf end. (See photo below) Quality of boarding facility: - Adequate, if you can climb over the fence to use it. Height above the water: - 60cm Distance for carrying portable boats: - You can unload your boat and lower it straight onto the water. Notes: - Parts of the lake are only 1 foot deep and keep away from south of river. There is lots of silt you can get stuck on. Follow river North for good scenery. Go slow, or the fishermen may catapult bait at you.

Directions: Post code for SatNav: - CW7 3DD ~ Semi-urban location. Take the A54 to Winsford; there is a car park and a wooden hut just as you get to a roundabout. Go in to the car park and the slip is in front of you. Parking location: - On the right of the slipway is a public car park for day parking. (Photo below) On the left is The Dock House, Marina, run by Jim and Kath Oakes for long term parking. Parking spaces available: - Lots of space on the public car park. Three or four units in the marina. Parking for trailer: - Unless it’s very busy, it may be parked attached to your car in either location. Parking security: - The public vehicle park is an open public space in clear view of anyone passing. The marina is enclosed, gated with a low gate but only locked overnight, however most of the site is hidden from public view. Wheel clamps, or other trailer securings are: - Strongly recommended if you have any and use a trailer. Parking period limits: - Public car park 14 hours. In the marina it’s negotiable.

Facilities: Pub with food: - There are two pubs with food around the roundabout.

Navigational Hazards: There are some rocks close in. Lake only 1 foot deep in places. The date of the pricing above and photo/s below is: - 2013

Charges: Boating licence: - None on the Flash, but a C&RT Licence will be needed if you intend to cruise upstream onto the navigable river. A variety of these are available from: - www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing Slipping Launching cost each way: - Free. Parking cost: - Public car park: - Free. Marina per day = £3.00. (Probably negotiable for a week or two)

Ramp Type: Suitability for canoes, dinghies, small inflatables, other portable boats with paddles; and RIB’s, heavy dinghies, and other low height boats with engines: - Excellent. Unsuitable for larger boats due to the hump at the top of the slipway, and the drop at the end.

Suitability: Small trailer can be pushed

Ramp Length: Non-tidal

Upper Area: Concrete

Lower Area: Shingle

Phone Number: 0606 554491

Hi Alan, thank you for your response.

The boat will be on a trailer, yes.

My licence is pending, but will be sorted by the time the boat is launched.

I was advised by someone who is moored on the River Weaver that Winsford is suitable for launch. Now I'm so confused

6 minutes ago, Jake29 said:

I was advised by someone who is moored on the River Weaver that Winsford is suitable for launch. Now I'm so confused

Were they aware of your boat size / dimensions / weight and that it would need to go over the 'hump' at the top, and float off before the trailer fell off the end of the ramp ?

The phone number is in the details - call and ask the people in charge of the ramp, they should know.

Phone Number: 0606 554491

Ramp Type: Suitability for canoes, dinghies, small inflatables, other portable boats with paddles; and RIB’s, heavy dinghies, and other low height boats with engines: - Excellent. Unsuitable for larger boats due to the hump at the top of the slipway, and the drop at the end.

They were aware that it's 25ft long, although no mention of a hump. I'm going to get back in contact with them to get some more clarification. I'm waiting on their response.

As for the slipway contact details. I've just tried their number and a robot answered to say the number is incorrect. I'll try sourcing their contact details elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, Jake29 said:

They were aware that it's 25ft long, although no mention of a hump. I'm going to get back in contact with them to get some more clarification. I'm waiting on their response.

As for the slipway contact details. I've just tried their number and a robot answered to say the number is incorrect. I'll try sourcing their contact details elsewhere. 

For many years I launched various sizes of trailer boats and the major things to consider of a slipway are :

Steepness (angle) of the slipway

Wet / slime (a car can easily be dragged backwards even with the brakes on, or in forward gear, if there is no traction0.

Where is the end of the slipway - normally a big drop off.

If you have to leave the car part way down the slip, can you safely manhandle a 'ton' of boat ?

If the trailer falls off the end of the slipway before the boat has enough depth to float off, you need to ensure that the tow hitch does not shoot skywards and goes thru the bottom of the boat.

The provided details say there is only 50cm depth at the end of the slipway - I'd suggest that would barely cover the wheels of the trailer, let alone float the boat. There is then a 70cm drop-off.

I think it would certainly be worth finding out the true situation from someone who knows the slipway and its limitations.

Thank you so much for this information Alan. Your knowledge and expertise are very appreciated this end. 

Winsford is out of the questions now I suppose, so I'm going to research a possible crane drop into Northwich Quay marina.

wish me luck! 

Another possibility. CanalRiverTrust's boaters guide to the Trent and Mersey Canal reckons there is a slipway at Anderton Marina. This is a short distance from the Anderton Boat Lift, which will take you down to the Weaver. No mention of it on the marina web site that I can quickly spot, but worth calling them to find out? I've never used a slipway, so no idea as to suitability. The boat lift seems to be running four days a week till the end of October.

https://www.andertonmarina.com/

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies