Solar Set up

james13

Featured Posts

Hi

I have two 300 watt @32 volt   solar panels and i have been given a 30 amp 100voc  mppt controller.

Would the 30 amp controller be ok?

but if it is a bit on the small side would it still be ok to use it and accept that i would not get the full output from the panels until funds allow me to buy a bigger one

42 minutes ago, james13 said:

Hi

I have two 300 watt @32 volt   solar panels and i have been given a 30 amp 100voc  mppt controller.

Would the 30 amp controller be ok?

but if it is a bit on the small side would it still be ok to use it and accept that i would not get the full output from the panels until funds allow me to buy a bigger one

So about 21 amps THEORETICAL maximum output at 14V but in reality about 10 amps in the UK on a good day so that controller will be fine and could cope with another similar panel.

19 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

So about 21 amps THEORETICAL maximum output at 14V but in reality about 10 amps in the UK on a good day so that controller will be fine and could cope with another similar panel.

....only in parallel, the voltages of 3 in series would almost certainly be well above 100v in full sunshine.

Edited by matty40s

2 panels of 300W each if charging 12V batteries will deliver at peak about 42Amp at mid day on a sunny day, but on average less than this. Most controllers will limit the current to their rated current, 30Amp in your case so you should be OK. Check the manual or see if you can find it on line as some controllers specify the maximum over capacity.

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

....only in parallel, the voltages of 3 in series would almost certainly be well above 100v in full sunshine.

i see there was a hypothetical third panel

Edited by Loddon