canal boot sales

colin1325

Featured Posts

Dunno about canal boot sales, but I've seen lots of Boat Jumbles advertised. Admittedly I've never been to one though. Has anyone else been to one? Are they any good, or is it a load of old brass tat and stuff painted with roses and castles?

Oh hang on, do you mean ordinary boot sales close to canals?

Edited by mickspangle

Depends where the boat jumbles are. Some are overpriced swindleries, whereas others are more genuine stallholders. I got the bronze prop for my boat from Humberside jumble (coming up soon I believe) and Newark in February has always been worth a visit, although more for the social side this year, if I remember correctly.

Around here it's £2.50 entry, but some I've heard are £8.00. Lot's more stuff for yachties usually. But if you have some money to spend, and like buying stuff (I don't) then they are a good day out.

Dunno about canal boot sales, but I've seen lots of Boat Jumbles advertised. Admittedly I've never been to one though. Has anyone else been to one? Are they any good, or is it a load of old brass tat and stuff painted with roses and castles?

Oh hang on, do you mean ordinary boot sales close to canals?

no not boot boat ie from the back of yer boat

I've never seen anyone selling random stuff from their boat. The closest thing to this concept is probably the fender makers or boats that sell diesel etc.

I guess that one could be organised along a stretch of towpath with boats mooring for the day trying to flog stuff to passing boaters or towpath walkers etc, but, like I said, I haven't seen anything like that yet.

Well I always drop in to any boot sale I see, top prize at Seend this last season when I picked up a hand held tacho with contact or optical function, new, in the box, £3!!

At a boot sale in my home town about 70 odd miles from the nearest lock I got a windlass with a nice ant-sore-hands spinny handle, 50p.

It's interesting to see boot sales varying from place to place, for instance nice middle class people in affluent areas selling for charity have no apparent idea of the value of money and stick £20 prices on stuff that elsewhere would sell for less than a quid. I have seen loads of second hand stuff offered for a higher price than that at which it is available in the shops new!

Only been to one boat jumble at if memory serves me right Redhills Marina, Absolute load of pooh. Lots of old overpriced crap that wud have been better put in a skip, and to rub salt in the wound cost us 3 adult addmisions to get in to see it.

About 10 stalls in total which took all of 10mts to browse then day over.

Once bitten twice shy is the saying and I certainly wont be visiting another in a hurry.

Only ever been to the Boat Jumble at the Hop Farm at Paddock Wood in kent. Loadsa stalls, loadsa jumble and some new stuff. Engine bits by the truck load also spares for webasto heaters and the like. I went for the pure reason to find a complete 2nd hand set of signal flags for the old tub but came away very happy with a complete toilet seat and fixings for my Blake Baby sea toilet which had finally given up after 30 yrs. Cost me £10 for the complete toilet. Priced one on ebay a couple of months earlier and it finally went for 270 squid..

Well worth visiting even if it is just for a nose round and a rummage through boxes of stuff

Only ever been to the Boat Jumble at the Hop Farm at Paddock Wood in kent. Loadsa stalls, loadsa jumble and some new stuff. Engine bits by the truck load also spares for webasto heaters and the like. I went for the pure reason to find a complete 2nd hand set of signal flags for the old tub but came away very happy with a complete toilet seat and fixings for my Blake Baby sea toilet which had finally given up after 30 yrs. Cost me £10 for the complete toilet. Priced one on ebay a couple of months earlier and it finally went for 270 squid..

Well worth visiting even if it is just for a nose round and a rummage through boxes of stuff

£10 for a warm arse is money well spent Salty. Hope you and your new toilet will spend many happy hours together. :smiley_offtopic:

I got the bronze prop for my boat from Humberside jumble (coming up soon I believe).........................

Yup

Sunday 4 November 2007. Humberside Boat Jumble. Open 10AM. Carlton Towers, Snaith, GOOLE, Yorkshire, DN14 9DZ. Signposted from Snaith. Admission £2.50, accompanied children and car park free. Telephone Compass Events 01803 835915

Others found here

http://www.boatjumbleassociation.co.uk/