Weedhatch Gasket Seals

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

• 5 months later...
We're using stick on neoprene foam, inch wide, about 4mm thick, laid down the full lenght two sides, then cut slightly over side for short sides and stuck in.

Exactly the same stuff that chandlers sell as weed hatch seal. I've mentioned on other posts that most up to date boat builders use Neoprene, it does almost any kind of hatch sealing you can think of, obtainable in almost any reasonable size and thickness.

The reason Rubber doesn't work is as some have already stated it's too hard to conform to the surfaces. 6mm neoprene strip will do the job. it does'nt need to be in one piece either, if you butt Neoprene tight together, it combines under pressure. Even portholes are fitted with neoprene now due to it's flexability and resistance to chemicles and sunlight.

I got a lot from here. Even e-bay sells it reasonable prices sometimes. Shop around though, price variations are quite big. :lol:

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shoppin...partmentId=1#15

Edited by Dhutch

Exactly the same stuff that chandlers sell as weed hatch seal. I've mentioned on other posts that most up to date boat builders use Neoprene, it does almost any kind of hatch sealing you can think of, obtainable in almost any reasonable size and thickness.

The reason Rubber doesn't work is as some have already stated it's too hard to conform to the surfaces. 6mm neoprene strip will do the job. it does'nt need to be in one piece either, if you butt Neoprene tight together, it combines under pressure. Even portholes are fitted with neoprene now due to it's flexability and resistance to chemicles and sunlight.

I got a lot from here. Even e-bay sells it reasonable prices sometimes. Shop around though, price variations are quite big. :lol:

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shoppin...partmentId=1#15

With the increasing popularity of watersports (no not that kind) almost every town now has a small wet suit manufacturing company. I got some 8mm neoprene for free as off-cuts too small for them to use.

Gibbo

With the increasing popularity of watersports (no not that kind) almost every town now has a small wet suit manufacturing company. I got some 8mm neoprene for free as off-cuts too small for them to use.

Gibbo

Good point actually, we have a diving centre here, just never thought of using it :lol: