Keeping the frost out

Keithmt

Featured Posts

I've searched the forum and can only find some old references to this.

We've just taken over our brand new 58' semi-trad and we obviously want to keep our fresh new interior free of mildew and the like caused by damp and cold weather.

So, in talking to a few people it sounds like putting a couple of 1kw oil filled radiators in (we have a shoreline) and setting these to 5 degrees would be a good idea.

Any thoughts on this from anyone?

1) is it really necessary

2) oil-filled versus fans

3) built in thermostatat versus seperate frst-stat (whatever that is)

4) 1 x 2kw versus 2 x 1kw

5) anything else

thanks

Keith

Although I drain down the water system, since power-cuts or tripped breakers are not that uncommon, I always use 2x1kW fans one at each end of the boat with their thermostats set to "frost protection". I reckon (for no scientific reason) that the movement of air caused by the fan will help keep the whole boat above freezing point, and that this must be good for all the woodwork etc which does after all contain water. It is of course necessary to leave plenty of ventilation to avoid getting loads of condensation.

I have noticed (from my max/min thermometer) that the temperature in parts of the boat can be up to 5 degrees lower than the fan setting.

I believe all fan heaters nowadays have an over-temperature cutout, which will operate if the fan should stop rotating; but it is worth checking to make sure. Also make sure your power supply can comfortably handle 2kW; some marinas have 6A breakers fitted. My supply has a 10A breaker, so I have ot be careful not to accidentally switch either of the fans to its 2kW position!

This setup uses about £40 of electricity per year, and all the woodwork is still in good condition because of (or despite) these measures, so I shall continue in the same way.

Allan

We've never heated emilyanne at all, and shes been fine for the last 15 years.

- We drain the water system down, although not overly thoughly, just pump off, open all the taps and shower job.

- And take the drain out of the bottom of the paloma waterheater (which is by far the most important thing to do).

- Then with the tank about 1/2 2/3 ish full ish turn off the isolator on the bottom of that, and thats about it really.

The loo is fine (pottapotti) although we usally make sure its made up freashly.

- The central heating loop is made up with (seamly) enough antifreeze so that thats ok.

- All the hoppertop windows (which is most of them) are left open all year anyway rain ro shine.

- And then the engine is dealt with however your engine needs seeing to (often nothing, with the right antifreeze).

Fan heaters scare me stupid at the best of times, and i would not leave them unattended anywhere i cared about.

And everything else should be fine at the temps we get to in the uk. Both Gin and Vodka are fine, as are bakebeans.

Daniel

- We drain the water system down, although not overly thoughly, just pump off, open all the taps and shower job.

- And take the drain out of the bottom of the paloma waterheater (which is by far the most important thing to do).

- Then with the tank about 1/2 2/3 ish full ish turn off the isolator on the bottom of that, and thats about it really.

- The central heating loop is made up with (seamly) enough antifreeze so that thats ok.

- All the hoppertop windows (which is most of them) are left open all year anyway rain ro shine.

- And then the engine is dealt with however your engine needs seeing to (often nothing, with the right antifreeze).

Fan heaters scare me stupid at the best of times, and i would not leave them unattended anywhere i cared about.

And everything else should be fine at the temps we get to in the uk. Both Gin and Vodka are fine, as are bakebeans.

Daniel

Ditto.........apart from windows.

This will be my first winter with a thetford cassette rather than a pump-out.

Does anybody have any views on draining a thetford for winter? Any special preparations - how carefully do you empty the pipes?

Daniel

I do the same i believe keep it hot or cold it is the heatinng up from cold that creats damp,best to leave cold with plenty of ventalation in my view.

Ditto.........including a couple of windows.

Surely any background heat will add to causes of damp by way of condensation?

Her idea to have all the windows shut and i quote "its got enough bloody ventilators to let air in why do you want to leave the windows open as well!" She has a point.

This time last year I was in the same position - new boat, first winter.

I thought about all the things mentioned here - small heater running on a time switch, draining down the water, keeping the Thetford empty. In the end I did none of these things and the boat is absolutely fine. The only thing that might make me different from other non-liveaboards is that I use my boat at least once a week - so I am there with doors and windows open, all systems on, engine run for a quick trip, hot water on etc.

Hope that helps.

This time last year I was in the same position - new boat, first winter.

In the end I did none of these things and the boat is absolutely fine.

Ditto, although I do use my boat over the winter period - generally pop down once a week and get the fire going, read a book or finish the odd boat building job or 10 !