replacing the glass in a stove

Featured Posts

The door on our stove is very difficult to close and requires quite a force before it can be closed. This i think has lead to the glass cracking in the door whic now needs replacing.

I take it ill have to replace the firerope but does anyone think the reason for the difficult closing is due to the wrong type of door seal or just build up of crud over the years?

Its getting chilly and swmbo likes to be warm

The door on our stove is very difficult to close and requires quite a force before it can be closed. This i think has lead to the glass cracking in the door whic now needs replacing.

I take it ill have to replace the firerope but does anyone think the reason for the difficult closing is due to the wrong type of door seal or just build up of crud over the years?

Some years ago, I stripped down our stove, painted it and reassembled it. Not long after the same thing happened, cracked glass, door difficult to close.

It seems the joint between the fire and door is metal to metal, so any paint, crud, tar etc. can build up. I had trouble finding a supplier for our French stove, but eventually a place in Essex came to the rescue. They supplied glass and rope, the only difficulty was removing the rusty screws!

Trick when replacing is to make sure the glass is supported only by the rope and not the metal, ours had a fibre tape where the clamp at the top and bottom fits and a rope to go round the where the glass fits in the door. Other thing to check is the hinges, ours are springy type where the door lifts off, but if there is a lot of crud they can get bent or sticky!

Its getting chilly and swmbo likes to be warm

We had the same problem with our Morso Squirrel - door became more and more difficult to shut and even on one occasion sprang open on its own. I tried replacing the rope seal, which didn't help much, even tried lightly filing the seating to clean off the crud. Then the glass cracked and I found I couldn't shift the clip screws. Ended up buying a new door complete with glass, seal, etc. ready to just drop on. Sorted, good as new.

Bad news is that the new door was £140.

If you do get a new one, before you use it, take out the clip screws one by one and put a dab of copperslip on them. tThen if you do have to replace the glass you have some chance of undoing the screws.

John, MV Sara

No need to buy a new door just drill out the out the screws retap and there you go job done. If you do not know how,or the tools take it to a marina workshop, enginnering shop or good garage not a main dealer any of these type of places should have the facilitys to do the job.Far cheaper than a new door!

Edited by wonderdust

Cheers folks for the replies.

had a good go at it yesterday, pleanty of 3 in 1 oil on the screws but even so couldnt budge em. Finally managed to remove them using the good ole trusty molegrips.

The door seals were full of crud,rust and all kinds of things so gave evrything a scrape down and clean and eventually found the rope seal underneath to be in fairly good nick. Put it all back together and the door shuts with no problem now

• 11 months later...
I'm having the same trouble now. Smashed the glass out (it was cracked), hoping it would help loosen the screws, but still stuck. I just need to find out what a mole grip is now!

its when two moles get stuck in the tunnel then because they cant see they have a wrestle but first the gloves have to come of and the one with the strongest grip is allowed to pass :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: no seriously its a tool that grips with jaws like nutcrackers but it has a ratchett to stop the jaws loosening when you are grippig it you can find them in most motor spares shops or market tool stores i prefer to use good old fashioned pipe wrench made by footprint any good tool store they work better as the jaws tighten more as you try to undo or tighten the nut however some times mole grips can get in tighter spots