Flooring weights

tehmarks

Featured Posts

I've been planning to replace the carpet throughout the boat since I bought it, but it's occurred to me recently that the additional weight may pose a problem. I'd rather not mess around with removing ballast if I don't have to, because getting the subfloor up will involve dismantling most of my built-in furniture. I don't suppose anyone has any rough data for the weights (per m^2) for strand-woven bamboo, LVT and carpet? Unsurprisingly it's not something that manufacturers seem to publish in their data sheets, and I thought Canal World might hold the answer and save me sending several separate emails.

The installed carpet is relatively lightweight — like this sort of thing.

14 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

I'd rather not mess around with removing ballast if I don't have to

Are you concerned about your hull fittings being too close to the waterline ?

If the carpet weighs (say) an extra 50kgs thats only 50 litres of diesel, or, 50 litres of water, or a couple of toilet cassettes, or gas bottles or a medium size child.

Is that really going to make any difference to your boat ?

• Greenie 1

The bathroom and galley skin fittings (welded pipe type with appropriate plumbing and seacocks) are already virtually at the waterline. The carpet will weigh virtually nothing, but I was worried that heavier flooring may pose a problem. I can't conceptualise how heavy bamboo or vinyl flooring are. That said, very good point, it's somewhat irrelevant compared to the weight of a few guests...

Edited by tehmarks

Far enough to be safe and sensible in terms of freeboard — but it seems, to me, to be suboptimal for the outlet to be underwater by default? Which is what I was worried may happen if I add another 100kg of flooring. On reflection, as pointed out, I'm not actually convinced it'll actually make any tangible difference...

Compared to some on here I feel I only play at boating, so it's always refreshing to hear the more experienced voices. Even when they're pointing out what should be blindingly obvious :)