Foxes Afloat TV

jaime66

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As a teenager I 'could not stand' the taste of beer (any beer) and my mates would say "stick with it, you'll get used to the taste" and I thought why should I go thru' day, weeks, months of drinking something I don't like when there are so many drinks I do like, I never took to beer and still don't drink it.

I feel the same about Mrs Brown - why put up with watching something so awful when there is stuff I could be watching and enjoying ?

I thought that with red wine, but I persevered because at the company do's  there was red and white on the table, I soon worked out most liked the white. I am so glad I did

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chagall said:

But therein lies the disdain, a trailer gives a poor overall experience, it is an acquired taste but it improves when you've watched a few and got to know the characters and the formula.   Getting over that initial distaste means watching quite a few episodes, like many things it gets better over time. You tend to ignore some of the very corny humour and wait for the hidden gems. 

Funnily enough I didn't like the impression I was given of the programme but I watched it and really enjoyed it, as you suggest it's cleverer than it appears but I got bored of it fairly quickly.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

So what do/did the panel think of The Royle Family?

I knew quite a few people who thought "There aren't any people really like that - it's unrealistic."

I know a lot more who thought their immediate family could have been the inspiration for the show!

Never really got on with it, occasional moments of genius but I couldn't be bothered with it

Just now, tree monkey said:

Funnily enough I didn't like the impression I was given of the programme but I watched it and really enjoyed it, as you suggest it's cleverer than it appears but I got bored of it fairly quickly.

I agree, it soon gets old and isn't likely to be revived, but it just didn't deserve the blanket condemnation it received. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I knew quite a few people who thought "There aren't any people really like that - it's unrealistic."

I know a lot more who thought their immediate family could have been the inspiration for the show!

Must admit I saw the trailer and gave it a miss. Mind you I would probably do the same with Mrs. Brown if I hadn't watched it for years

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think the Royle family was popular, largely because it did poke irreverent scorn at the ghastly sort of family it portrayed. Many felt smugly fortunate to be nothing like them but did indeed recognise elements within themselves. The writing was superb (RIP Caroline) and Ricky Tomlinson gave it his best.. However after a while the aching pathos in between the sharp humour gave it a sad air, reflected in the signature tune and it became so bittersweet I couldn't bear it and stopped watching.