No Anodes?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Weird question, asked just out of curiosity. On the River Weaver, around Northwich, is the water salty enough to make zinc anodes work? How long do Mg anodes last there? Is there much salt in the water from the salt beds these days?

I was never on the Weaver long enough to worry about it, and tbh never gave it a thought.

If the waters are a mix of salty and fresh it is called 'Brackish' and if any considerable time is spent in Brackish waters then anodes should be Aluminium. 

Typical areas that Aluminium should be used  is on the trent downstream of Gainsborough, around Trent falls and onto the Humber / Ouse.

I am told that many NB builders are now changing their fixing method for anodes. Bolts are welded onto the hull so that anodes can be replaced (changed ?) very simply without taking the boat out of the water. Makes sense to me.

Great for if you are (say) going onto the Weaver for a couple of weeks, lean over the side, unbolt the Mag's and replace with Alu's

GRP boats have had this method of attachment for many years

20191017-134944.jpg

Inked16-10-19d-LI.jpg

39 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I call it crinkle cut piling. Inland boaty types know what I mean. ?

Jen

Yeah, but did you know there’s two distinct types of “crinkle cut” piling?

One type the joint in the “crinkle”, and one with the joint in the “cut”. Or more correctly U or Z section, or Larssen or Frodingham if you prefer.

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was never on the Weaver long enough to worry about it, and tbh never gave it a thought.

If the waters are a mix of salty and fresh it is called 'Brackish' and if any considerable time is spent in Brackish waters then anodes should be Aluminium. 

Typical areas that Aluminium should be used  is on the trent downstream of Gainsborough, around Trent falls and onto the Humber / Ouse.

I am told that many NB builders are now changing their fixing method for anodes. Bolts are welded onto the hull so that anodes can be replaced (changed ?) very simply without taking the boat out of the water. Makes sense to me.

Great for if you are (say) going onto the Weaver for a couple of weeks, lean over the side, unbolt the Mag's and replace with Alu's

GRP boats have had this method of attachment for many years

The original anodes on my narrowboat are the bolt on type.

When I had them replaced a couple of years ago, the boatyard simply welded new ones on adjacent to the bolt on ones! ?

• Sad 1