boaters evicted

denboy

Featured Posts

Link to nottingham evening post today boaters to be evicted from beeston moorings

and was wondering if anybody can remeber filling in a survey to get rid of the on line moorings

I certainly can not

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayN...barsearch#views

according to BW 27,000 did???

Edited by denis boyle

IIRC The survey was part of a cleverly worded document that was either sent out to licence payers or done on line asking what they liked or didnt like about the canals.

It was done about 9 months ago I think.

Julian

IIRC The survey was part of a cleverly worded document that was either sent out to licence payers or done on line asking what they liked or didnt like about the canals.

It was done about 9 months ago I think.

Julian

Julian is correct. It was a very cleverly worded questionnaire and I believe a lot of people were not aware of the implications of their answers. So everyone who said they would like to be able to cruise at a constant speed and not keep slowing down and that anymore than 40ft of online moorings per mile was too much ... you only have yourselves to blame.

There are some very clever peeps out there in the questionnaire and interpretation department.

Debbi ;-)

So everyone who said they would like to be able to cruise at a constant speed and not keep slowing down and that anymore than 40ft of online moorings per mile was too much Debbi ;-)

Thing is tho Debbi, Beeston is 100 yards away from the lock

Edited by Neil.A

Thing is tho Debbi, Beeston is 100 yards away from the lock

I have signed and fully support your posistion.

I currently more on line with bw and am becoming increasly concerned that this will soon be my situation as we have just had one marina opened on our pound and another due open before the years out.

It enoys me that on our 21 mile pound there are increasing number of liveaboard boats on un official moorings. I am not a live aboard but use my boat most weekends but all the nice moorings are taken by liveaboards that just never seem to move. Mentioning no names i know of a liveaboard boat that came out of a local marina and moved half mile away to an un offical mooring it has now been there 9 months and other trips to water point it never moves. How can bw allow this to happen it makes me so mad.

There is a 45ft ish boat being lived on on an official mooring which has built a rabbit type cage and fenced off part of the towpath for there own use.

There is plenty more i could go on for ever

HOW CAN THIS BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN COME ON BW SORT YOUR F*****G ACT OUT.

I have signed and fully support your posistion.

I currently more on line with bw and am becoming increasly concerned that this will soon be my situation as we have just had one marina opened on our pound and another due open before the years out.

It enoys me that on our 21 mile pound there are increasing number of liveaboard boats on un official moorings. I am not a live aboard but use my boat most weekends but all the nice moorings are taken by liveaboards that just never seem to move. Mentioning no names i know of a liveaboard boat that came out of a local marina and moved half mile away to an un offical mooring it has now been there 9 months and other trips to water point it never moves. How can bw allow this to happen it makes me so mad.

There is a 45ft ish boat being lived on on an official mooring which has built a rabbit type cage and fenced off part of the towpath for there own use.

There is plenty more i could go on for ever

HOW CAN THIS BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN COME ON BW SORT YOUR F*****G ACT OUT.

whilst i agree with your anger the lefty mob will soon be down on you, thier view is live and let live and let bw do the policing stuff

Enter CWs most famous leftie stage right. (it's true Victor said so)

Firstly, eat the rabbit.

Secondly I don't see a problem with what ditchy has written. He's not advocating kangaroo courts, or blaming kosovans, However, I'm wondering something ....

How many people who filled in this now famous questionnaire were thinking of the sort of scenario ditchy mentions when they ticked the box "get rid of some of the online moorers"? not realising that as the "kosha" moorers were the measurable ones, they would be the ones evicted?

I'm going to be a bit vauge here, but there is a good reason.

I was led to believe that the Beeston 6 wrere to be found a mooring on the offside of the Beeston cut as berths became available, this was not the case. I won the mooring, but I am still the spokesman for all involved and will continue to be so, until all get a satisfactory result.

Make no mistake, this is the tip of the iceberg; it will affect all boaters one way or another.

United we stand; divided we fall.

I'm going to be a bit vauge here, but there is a good reason.

I was led to believe that the Beeston 6 wrere to be found a mooring on the offside of the Beeston cut as berths became available, this was not the case. I won the mooring, but I am still the spokesman for all involved and will continue to be so, until all get a satisfactory result.

Make no mistake, this is the tip of the iceberg; it will affect all boaters one way or another.

United we stand; divided we fall.

Good luck in yr fight commrade ther are plenty of mercenaries on here for hire :lol:

I only know what I have read on this topic and ther is always another side to the story and I'm sure someone will put me right if I've got this wrong.

Is the aim is to remove livaboards off the stretches of canals to free up moorings for continuous cruisers and pleasure boaters?

Were the canals restored for people to live on???? Why dont we all buy caravans and set up home on the M6 or a nice little country lane that takes our fancy?

There was a recent mention of a boat that has sunk on the canal (one of many) and the owner has washed his hands of it and believes BW should clean up his mess after him as he cant afford it.

If BW's aim is to move these boats into marina moorings whats wrong with that.? Wouldnt a livaboard want to live in a marina with toilets & shower facilities?

Edited by Maverick

I only know what I have read on this topic and ther is always another side to the story and I'm sure someone will put me right if I've got this wrong.

Is the aim is to remove livaboards off the stretches of canals to free up moorings for continuous cruisers and pleasure boaters?

Were the canals restored for people to live on???? Why dont we all buy caravans and set up home on the M6 or a nice little country lane that takes our fancy?

There was a recent mention of a boat that has sunk on the canal (one of many) and the owner has washed his hands of it and believes BW should clean up his mess after him as he cant afford it.

If BW's aim is to move these boats into marina moorings whats wrong with that.? Wouldnt a livaboard want to live in a marina with toilets & shower facilities?

Not everyone wants to live in a marina. I'd rather live in a tent.

The canals were initially restored by volunteers, with little or no help from BW, many of whom lived on the canals.

The aim of the evictions is to relieve 'competition' with new marinas in the area. This has nothing to do with making visitor moorings. BW have stated that for every 10 new marina moorings, they'll remove 1 online mooring. This is apointless exercise which will lead to more bridgehoppers, who are unable to move to the new marinas, which may well not have residential pp anyway.

Your comments, owing to your, admitted, limited knowledge are, as you say yourself, wrong.

Edited to say: I've got toilet and shower facilities on my boat. Why would I want to share a strangers?

Edited by carlt

Can someone verify for me please this:

If a boat has a licence with a big M on it, in date, and it is moored on a stretch of canal or river that DOESN'T say 48hr/72hr visitor mooring only, or NO MOORING, or on an obviously private bit of land owned by, say, a fishing club,

they are, in fact, quite entitled to stay there as long as they like?

Can someone verify for me please this:

If a boat has a licence with a big M on it, in date, and it is moored on a stretch of canal or river that DOESN'T say 48hr/72hr visitor mooring only, or NO MOORING, or on an obviously private bit of land owned by, say, a fishing club,

they are, in fact, quite entitled to stay there as long as they like?

No you can only moor permanently at BW approved long term moorings.

When I had a long term mooring at Cropredy, It was down the locks, by the shop. This got very busy and noisy at times so I moved the boat up to Broadmoor lock. After a few weeks the whitecap turned up and asked me to move back to my mooring.

I thought this funny because I'd moved onto a mooring that was cheaper, less desirable and further away from facilities (though there was a secret water point up there).

A quick visit to the stophouse secured the new mooring but, while it wasn't 'official' I could only stop there 14 days.

Sorry roj your wrong mooring permits are only valid for a specific mooring ie a mooring at the bottom of a garden for instance (E O G ) wich bw still charge a fee for

If you have a long term BW online mooring, though, your permit is for that site. You don't have ownership of a specific mooring so BW can, in theory, shuffle you about. Or if another moorer likes your pitch better than theirs, they can, if they're feeling really mean, move onto it while you're off boating.

Thanks Carl and Denis, I didn't realise this. Having seen quite a few boats in the Nottingham area moored in odd places, but with a big M licence, I was under the impression that what I thought was the case.

There are a few remotely moored liveaboards who have negotiated a long-term mooring in the middle of nowhere but BW do like to herd boaters into easily controlled groups.

Thanks Carl and Denis, I didn't realise this. Having seen quite a few boats in the Nottingham area moored in odd places, but with a big M licence, I was under the impression that what I thought was the case.

Yes im one of them but unlike the 15 to 20 others on this stretch i pays me money and tow the line

I was, and still am, appalled at British Waterways treatment of the moorers at Sawley. Is there anything else that any of us can do help? My instinct says a blast of publicity in the mainstream media is needed but I personally have no idea how to set about this, but I'm sure that most people would agree that BW are being unfair, to say the least.

I was, and still am, appalled at British Waterways treatment of the moorers at Sawley. Is there anything else that any of us can do help? My instinct says a blast of publicity in the mainstream media is needed but I personally have no idea how to set about this, but I'm sure that most people would agree that BW are being unfair, to say the least.

I was wondering if BW would stand up and take notice if something on the lines of a french protest ie a blokade of boats outside there office's if the boating community would band together and try instaed of moaning about it to get as much media coverage as possible .

Bw have been sh****ng on the boating community lets start shovelling the sh*t back up hill ?

Hi i'm spokes person for the Sawley mooring problem, at the moment we have Towpath Talk who have ran a couple of stories on our mooring problems and a Beeston paper and Derby Evening Telegraph have ran stories to help our cause.

Lisa

I have lived on an online mooring for 21 years and in no way would I want to go into a sterile marina with no views except your neighbours boat, regarding were the canals built for people to live on, they were build for the transportation of goods and the people that worked them also lived on them, Jack and Rose Skinner, now in their 80' live by us, they were born on boats and so were their parents, so living onboard is not a new thing at all, where as holiday boating is comparitivly new

Is the aim is to remove livaboards off the stretches of canals to free up moorings for continuous cruisers and pleasure boaters? How many continuous cruisers don't live aboard?

Were the canals restored for people to live on???? Yup. Otherwise liveaboards wouldn't be allowed to exsist at all. As it is, BW want lots of liscense fees, so they'll keep allowing liveaboards... as long as they don't have to look at them! Why dont we all buy caravans and set up home on the M6 or a nice little country lane that takes our fancy?

If BW's aim is to move these boats into marina moorings whats wrong with that.? Wouldnt a livaboard want to live in a marina with toilets & shower facilities? I have a perfectly adequate toilet and shower and bath on my boat - don't want to, or need to use some public verucca infested faciltities thank you very much. Do I want to look at a million boats? Nope - give me the countryside and towpath any day.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I have lived on an online mooring for 21 years and in no way would I want to go into a sterile marina with no views except your neighbours boat, regarding were the canals built for people to live on, they were build for the transportation of goods and the people that worked them also lived on them, Jack and Rose Skinner, now in their 80' live by us, they were born on boats and so were their parents, so living onboard is not a new thing at all, where as holiday boating is comparitivly new

Hi Moggy

I think is is a question of scale, there was an understanding that a few the working boat people could remain on the canals during their retirement but surely no one would make a comparison with that situation and what is happening today.

Had you or anyone else attempted to do what you are doing now during the working days of the canals it would have been regarded as a simple case of criminal trespass and eventually you would have been tying to set up home in New South Wales.

Edited by John Orentas