Have a look

nigel carton

Featured Posts

Have a look at a picky Iv'e uploaded in the gallery, and see what you think. I saw this picture on a site advertising boats for sale.

Makes one wonder how some people get through life without major incident.

There was certainly no need to place the slings so close together.

The slings must be about 20 ft plus.

HSE would like to see this.

I could see that crane driver losing his ticket.

Yeah, looks a bit close!!

- Why have they lifted it so high anyway!! from that hight a drop could be fatal, certainly for the boat if nothing else!

- I saw a narrow boat get droped on YouBeenFramed a few years ago. there where craning a load in from a field (overwintering i presume) the had the boat and 90degrees to the cut when the front sling sliped droping the bow droping the bow in the cut, luckly it was only a fall of about 2ft, and it was almost certainly all right, except fot the favorite vase...

daniel

I dunno! A rope around each end of the cabin*, tied off to the slings would stop all this nonsense.

(* called a "stopper")

Also called a "preventer" for obvious reasons! I have seen this done too many times and it is extremely bad practise for two reasons; one becaiuse there is nothing to stop the slings sliding together with dire consequences, and two because of the undue bending and crushing stresses which the boat is subjected to. I have come across new boats where internal damage has been caused by these stresses and in boats where doors, and engines are already installed it can caus misalignement of shafts, door catches etc.

All this can be avoided by the use of proper spreaders which not only avoid the stresses by having the slings much further apart, but they are also vertical, therby eliminating the potential for them to slide together. I agree that the HSE should really crack down on irresponsible yards where such things are still allowed to happen. It is interesting that BW have published on their website their code of practice regarding crane operations on or over their premises.The key elements are risk assesment and method statement.

Regards

Howard Anguish

• 1 year later...

Just seen this thread and the picture.

When my old 45' springer was craned out at Watford on the GU about 5 years ago the crane driver nearly dropped it. I think it was probably the most stressful thing I have ever watched. The strops (or whatever they're called) were placed wide enough but probably in the wrong places & it was windy. As the boat was about 15' in the air it suddenly shifted so the stern end went down and the boat was at a 30 degree angle. He got in back in the water pretty quick before making a second more sucessful attempt. The crane driver, a big Irish bloke, claimed that the hull overplating had water trapped between it and the hull which had shifted as it came out. I'm not sure if that was true - it had been plated by a proper coded welder and I cant see what difference a few gallons of water would have made.

Anyway, I was told afterward by the woman that ran the marina (a separate business) that he was uninsured!

After that experience, I would always have my new boat either slipped or drydocked or prhaps craned but only with the big frame type cranes.