New to barging, help desperately needed!

Angie Palmer

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, dmr said:

And the op wants to live on the L&L so maybe this is not a good boat to provide a link to, but I know nothing about the L&L having done no more than walk some towpath. (Except Wigan to Liverpool that I know well, I think there is one Dutch Barge type boat on a long term mooring).

..................Dave

Yes it is not really suited to the L & L.  You see more of them east of Leeds on the Aire and Calder and South Yorkshire navigations.

33 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes it is not really suited to the L & L.  You see more of them east of Leeds on the Aire and Calder and South Yorkshire navigations.

Exactly, I went up to Saltaire the other year, I have a removable wheelhouse on my widebeam but made it without dropping it. the biggest issue though was not being able to get close to the bank in places when mooring and Joyce isnt a deep draft boat, chines really are needed on the L & L in places

14 hours ago, Bee said:

Ah, that's yet another problem, you can end up with a muddy boat living with a stinky dog and no wife!

My wife is dreading the day we move back to a house, she adores the way of life even more than myself. Plenty of other wives available if the present one doesnt conform ?

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I guess this would be cheap (if it was for sale)

20200717.jpg

Very sad to see, I used to moor alongside it with the Nottingham Princess sometimes as it was a good position in Nottingham to watch fireworks from with customers on board.

• Happy 1

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Very sad to see, I used to moor alongside it with the Nottingham Princess sometimes as it was a good position in Nottingham to watch fireworks from with customers on board.

Yes it is  sad to see Selby Michael  in such neglected state.  Unfortunately also taking up large part of what is now signposted as a short term visitor mooring. 

• Greenie 2

• 1 year later...
On 13/09/2020 at 09:55, MartynG said:

I guess this would be cheap (if it was for sale)

20200717.jpg

I understand Selby Michael is going to be taken from Hazelford to Newark in the near future.

On 12/09/2020 at 23:26, blackrose said:

Also with a draft of 3ft 3in that barge isn't not going to be suitable for some broadbeam canals and will be limited to ship canals and rivers.

Well almost...

I owned almost the identical barge and we did Bristol to London on the K&A. The draft did see us ground twice, but not seriously, the beam got us stuck between a couple of sets of poorly maintained lock gates and the air draft with everything removed including the wheelhouse prevented us from getting under a bridge without scraping some paint off.

The width of the vessel made us very, very unpopular with other boats, some of whom were very vocal about it! Passing other boats, even narrowboats was almost impossible in many places and to be honest it was a stressful trip that was never repeated. I wouldn't even consider a widebeam if my intention was to actually cruise anywhere, but maybe as a static houseboat.

We kept ours and cruised exclusively on 'lumpy' waters, coastal and tidal estuaries where it was absolutely brilliant.

13 hours ago, MartynG said:

I understand Selby Michael is going to be taken from Hazelford to Newark in the near future.

Very sad to see it like that. I have moored alongside it with the Nottingham Princess in the past. One of Tonys boats iirc? Just noticed its an old thread lol.

Edited by mrsmelly

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Very sad to see it like that. I have moored alongside it with the Nottingham Princess in the past. One of Tonys boats iirc?

I thought it was his boat too.

Another of Tony Dunkley's successes? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Isn't that the barge that slipped it's moorings and damaged stuff as it made it's way down the Trent?

Yes. (Allegedly).

24 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Isn't that the barge that slipped it's moorings and damaged stuff as it made it's way down the Trent?

For many years it was moored alongside a wall on the river just along from meadow lane lock, near the bus depot more or less opposite Forest ground. I believe it was one of Tonys boats though cannot remember for sure? Many people dont know it, but that stretch along from the lock upstream, and the length out side County hall is not overseen by CART. There is a long stretch of moorings there that are actualy council run ( ish ) and peeps do stop there for shall we say, varied lengths of time. However, its a yo yo in the winter/ wet weather and is no picknic for piss takers if they are not on the ball.

Edited by mrsmelly

• 2 weeks later...

On 25/07/2022 at 16:54, MartynG said:

I don't know for sure whether Selby Michael has been moved but I had missed the following notice saying it was due to be moved on 13th July

image.png.8604c10dc992848e59cbecd442dc8c7f.png

I can confirm Selby Michael has been moved.

Edited by MartynG