Wiring a bilge pump switch

Brian F

Featured Posts

Advice needed,

First time message, hope it is OK

My problem is the white wire, Whale super sub smart  SS5212

When connected as per whale diagram ,with the WHITE connected to MANUAL terminal on the  BILGE switch  

and the BROWN wire connected to AUTO ,      the pump functions in reverse operation

When switched to AUTO  it activates ,immediately 

When switched  to Manual ,after 5 secs delay it activates 

If I swap the  WHITE wire  to the auto terminal ,and the brown to the manual terminal, it  works perfectly      

My concern is that it contradicts  whale wiring diagram on page 5 of the instruction manual 

Could anyone advise, 

Many thanks in anticipation . 

Tony 

Thanks very much for the swift reply, 

I have the whale pump on the bench for testing ,and I know that switching the the white and Brown over works OK 

To  add to the puzzle I have a Seaflo auto 750 ,which I connected with the WHITE  going to the MANUAL, switch

The BROWN going to the AUTO terminal ,as per WHALE  wiring diagram  it works good ,                                                                   unlike the WHALE 650 ,unless I swap the wires over like you suggested  

The 3 way switch I have  p/n 10296-12 quite common on e bay   

one more bit of info , the previous  new WHALE  auto 650 I had ,I was wired like you suggested 

it lasted 3months and died ,pumping only rain water ,Hull is grp no leaks,  Coincidence ?   maybe

Have contacted WHALE info and awaiting their reply ,which I will share with you and all    

Brian F

5 minutes ago, Brian F said:

one more bit of info , the previous  new WHALE  auto 650 I had ,I was wired like you suggested 

it lasted 3months and died ,pumping only rain water ,Hull is grp no leaks,  Coincidence ?   maybe

That does seem a short time, but Whale are the Aldi of the pump world "Cheap & Cheerful" and 'disposable'.

17 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The connections on the switch are the reverse of what looks logical, up connects to the bottom tag and vice versa. Is this the confusion?

It is,   just tried a new switch ,same problem, decided now to wire up and live with it