Fuel question

clive m s

Featured Posts

Hi can anyone elaborate on the rules for carrying a spare Jerry can of red diesel on board a narrowboat I have seen lots of boaters doing this out and about and was wondering what if any the rules are 

Thanks. 

We carry two jerry cans of diesel on board as our tank only holds 120 litres.

I checked the regs before I did and, if I remember correctly, it's OK if you use containers "specifically designed for the purpose".

I.e. use a proper can, not just some random container. I believe it also has to be metal, not plastic.

Steve

16 minutes ago, Just Heaven said:

checked the regs before I did and, if I remember correctly, it's OK if you use containers "specifically designed for the purpose".

The same is true of any fuel. Even if you have a horse to tow your boat. Make sure it is stored in a container specifically designed for the purpose and labelled with the type of fuel.

spacer.png

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

There is no legislation for carrying diesel (unlike petrol) but it makes common sense to use strong, airtight containers, Label them with the contents.

On the Cat we have 5x 25 litre heavy duty plastic water containers (camping shop) for long voyages as it gives us another 100 hours or so 'on top f the 2x built in fuel tanks, if we becalmed.

Coming back from Croatia we were in Westerly's and Northerly's  and motored pretty much the whole 3000 miles. Took almost 3 days to get across the Bay of Biscay into very strong headwinds.

If you are going to put Jerry cans or other fuel containers in the engine 'ole remember that they will get warm.  The fuel in them and the vapour in any free space will expand, putting the containers under a little pressure and more likely to leak.. If they are vented carefully when warm they are under negative pressure when cooled, so less likely to leak.

N

10 minutes ago, clive m s said:

Many thanks to everyone for the replies.!! I'm an ex military man I knew I should have borrowed a Jerry can when I left!! Stay safe and happy boating ?

You can always go and have a chat with "Anchor Supplies" at Nottingham cattle market

They always used to have 100's of them "piled high and sold cheap"

https://www.anchorsupplies.com/about-anchor-supplies

6 minutes ago, clive m s said:

how strange Alan i called them today and they have lots ,

Regards ,

Clive.

I've not been in since the fire - that was exciting when the near by pet-shop had all its snakes and reptiles get loose and had 'wander' around the cattle market.

One of the reptiles, a giant Argentine Tegu lizard named Onyx has become something of a store celebrity.

Tim explained he was moved in a box via a shopping trolley and will stay with the business owner until he can be moved back to the store.

"We had a lot of people across the country messaging asking about him.

"I'm just so glad all the animals are safe. We have around £100,000 worth of stock and their safety was so important," added Tim.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/reptile-pet-store-owner-describes-2182728