Can it be done ? And how ?

johnny nosh

Featured Posts

Hello and thanks for reading

I have just removed a stuart turner water pump no 10 from my boat used for domestic water supply.

The question is how do you convert a water pump that runs on 230/240 volts to run on 12volts, can it be done ?

I have owend the boat for 3 years now and I have not had any trouble with the water pump until now.

I was looking on fleabay for a replacement and found this, the exact same pump I removed.

Can it be done and how ? Because someone seems to have done it .

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope somebody could point me in the right

direction.

stuart turner pump no 10 pic 2.jpg

1 minute ago, johnny nosh said:

Hello and thanks for reading

I have just removed a stuart turner water pump no 10 from my boat used for domestic water supply.

The question is how do you convert a water pump that runs on 230/240 volts to run on 12volts, can it be done ?

I have owend the boat for 3 years now and I have not had any trouble with the water pump until now.

I was looking on fleabay for a replacement and found this, the exact same pump I removed.

Can it be done and how ? Because someone seems to have done it .

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope somebody could point me in the right

direction.

You fit a 12V motor.

I remember that type of pump as part of a 12V water pump system. I don't see why you can not swap t for a modern 12V water pump but if you can find a 12V motor I expect it will be more long lasting.

7 minutes ago, johnny nosh said:

Thanks for that

I just thought I would replace like for like.

I have had a look at some of the more modern offerings and they look

cheap and plastic and I dont want to break the bank.

Stuart Turner were very good at putting data plates on their kit so maybe it will show the power (watts), amps, or HP. If so have a look for similarly specified 12V DC motors and I suspect you will find a new modern pump cheaper.

I notice you only say "trouble" with no description of what that trouble is. Could just be worn brushes or something wrong with the wiring, switch, fuse/breaker. Without more info about the trouble one can't really help.

Seen this? https://www.pumpfundamentals.com/pumpdatabase2/stuart-turner-12-50.pdf

Edited by Tony Brooks

Thanks for that Tony

It does have a passing resemblance to the old one but it looks like there would be

some plumbing to do with the water feed pipes. The old one you just shove the plastic

water feed pipes onto the brass housing and secure with jubilee clips. That one look like you need

screw in type pipes.

Could you show me the type of thing you mean David ?

9 hours ago, johnny nosh said:

Thanks for that Tony

It does have a passing resemblance to the old one but it looks like there would be

some plumbing to do with the water feed pipes. The old one you just shove the plastic

water feed pipes onto the brass housing and secure with jubilee clips. That one look like you need

screw in type pipes.

Could you show me the type of thing you mean David ?

The screw in fitting should be available for any plumber's merchant but as the pump is twice the cost of a modern one I would have thought its academic.

If you googled to find the mains pump just Google 12V Inverter and take not of what SirN says about the minimum power. If you go down this route I doubt it would be any cheaper than a modern 12v pump and the inverter introduces another point of failure.

Edited by Tony Brooks

My boat was built in 2001, I bought it in 2011. What I am pretty sure was the original water pump failed about 4 years ago. The new jabsco hasn't missed a beat so far, although we are only 4 years in.

If worried about it, you could buy 2 for the price of a new Stuart Turner, and keep one just in case.

I've known those Stuart pumps from my apprentice days and from memory they are all but indestructible. More than half a century on and I've still got a working one sculling around here somewhere. And no,. it too is 240 volt job. Sorry!

Being a commutator motor the brushes and commutator can wear. If memory serves they also employ a carbon on carbon shaft seal which can also wear. Given the age of these units spares could be an issue.

The real downside of these pumps on a boat is that they are a centrifugal pump and do not produce much pressure so on balance and despite their plastic appearance I would submit that a modern pump is probably the more cost effective and hassle free option.