Waste Disposal

pearley

Featured Posts

All BW rubbish disposal sites have notices asking you not to leave waste oil, batteries, etc.

As responsible people, where do you get rid of your old oil and filters? Has anyone asked Halfrauds to take it back under EU waste directives?

We take our oil to Stanstead Abbots marina where they have an oil disposal container. Batteries go to Little Venice, where BW allows you to dispose of them.

Recycling I lug in a shopping trolley either to Haringey tip, or Tesco, or we save it up and dump at a canal side collection point, either opposite Springfield marina, or at any of the canalside supermarkets.

IMO, BW should be encouraging more recycling. I reckon I'm the only boater here who bothers, coz it's hard, if theres no bin provided.

We do have a communal compost bin though.

All BW rubbish disposal sites have notices asking you not to leave waste oil, batteries, etc.

As responsible people, where do you get rid of your old oil and filters? Has anyone asked Halfrauds to take it back under EU waste directives?

I use my local authority recycling centre - they have an oil bank & battery recycling bin.

I'm not sure if Halfords is liable to take back old oil but it's an interesting point and they may be? I bought a new flatscreen TV from Tescos today and read a notice that I should pick up a leaflet from customer services about taking my old TV back to them under the new EU WEEE (Waste Electrical & Electronics Equipment) legislation in force from 1st July 2007. When I asked for a leaflet nobody knew anything about it and I was then told they hadn't started doing it yet at Tescos - presumably meaning they are breaking the law? One helpful staff member said they would take it but from what he was saying it sounded like they were just storing them until they found out what to do with them.

Edited by blackrose

This will become a more common problem as everybody implements directives.

There are some recycling centres next to the canal e.g. Middlewich & Stockton Heath, but what we need is Nicholson's to identify them!

I agree, BW are very slow to provide recycling facilities, but there again some boaters would'nt comply anyway, they just dump everything and sail away, and it's no different on land the facilities provided at stores like Asda, are a disgrace, not to the stores but the public who at times just dump everything on the floor and leave it.

The other side of the coin/rubbish is that the packaging that many of the things we buy is just OTT and creates problems.

When I change oil, I take it home with me and take it to the council tip, they have facilities for oil and old batteries.

DavidK

Try:

canal recycling link

It's as up-to-date as everyone keeps it......

Simon.

There has been an oil disposal facility at our local Halfords, but I went up there yesterday, and it has gone. No one in the store seemed to know why.