Can a boat in a closed marina be declared off water?

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

1 No, not joking

2) Schools are closed, parents cannot work as kids have to stay at home. Single mother cannot take her 18 month old 'into work'.

3)

4) Bin collection cancelled for 1 month and then reviewed

5) We stopped doing bacon butties and they stopped coming.

1 Must be a fault . Have you reported the street lighting fault  to your county council?. There is no shortage of energy.

2 No schools are not closed  - schools are open for key workers children - teachers not furloughed. A single (or married) mother could not take her 18 month old to school . They don't go to school that young . You mean nursery which is different. But nurseries are paid for up to a certain number of hours from government funding. Not sure if that's out of council tax or not?

3 Not here (Newark and Sherwood)

4 I have never offered them bacon butties .

18 minutes ago, MartynG said:

1 Must be a fault . Have you reported the street lighting fault  to your county council?. There is no shortage of energy.

2 No schools are not closed  - schools are open for key workers children - teachers not furloughed. A single (or married) mother could not take her 18 month old to school . They don't go to school that young . You mean nursery which is different. But nurseries are paid for up to a certain number of hours from government funding. Not sure if that's out of council tax or not?

3 Not here (Newark and Sherwood)

4 I have never offered them bacon butties .

1/ You obviously haven't realised it but not every road in the country has street lighting, especially in rural areas. 
2/ Many schools are closed around here, with "key workers" children being taken to teaching hubs instead.
3/ Bin collections have been reduced in many areas.

11 hours ago, Duke 1956 said:

Our boat is moored in Cropredy Marina (so off the CRT managed waterway which is the South Oxford at that point)

Since March 24th the marina has been closed and boaters are not allowed to visit the marina or their boat. 

Given that the boat is off the system for the time being (and probably for another three or four weeks at least) can I declare it off water and get a refund from CRT?

Hopefully yes!

Cheers

Ask CRT

:)

14 hours ago, MartynG said:

Its not about t&c's its about doing the right thing. Sharing the pain. 

If C&RT are reducing costs because people are furloughed they should share the saving, not bank the saving.

Until a few weeks ago boaters all expected to pay their CRT licence, and presumably planned for that expenditure.  So what has changed? Sure some boat owner's have lost income, but others haven't.  And most are spending less because they can't go out and spend. There is no moral case for arbitrarily refunding licence costs. 

The government has stepped in with a range of measures to help the finances of those who are adversely affected by all this - measures that would have been unthinkable not long ago. Hastily introduced, of course the measures are not perfect, and are having to be refined as new gaps become apparent. But that is a better way to help those who need it.

CRT furloughing staff is not really a cost saving to be banked. Furlough only applies to staff who can't work, so their jobs are not being done at the moment. After this is all over there will be a backlog of work to catch up on, and that is when the money saved now will be spent.

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Until a few weeks ago boaters all expected to pay their CRT licence, and presumably planned for that expenditure.  So what has changed? Sure some boat owner's have lost income, but others haven't.  And most are spending less because they can't go out and spend. There is no moral case for arbitrarily refunding licence costs. 

The government has stepped in with a range of measures to help the finances of those who are adversely affected by all this - measures that would have been unthinkable not long ago. Hastily introduced, of course the measures are not perfect, and are having to be refined as new gaps become apparent. But that is a better way to help those who need it.

CRT furloughing staff is not really a cost saving to be banked. Furlough only applies to staff who can't work, so their jobs are not being done at the moment. After this is all over there will be a backlog of work to catch up on, and that is when the money saved now will be spent.

I understand you point here david and this does not affect me so just an outsider view point but just like many other businesses and home owners and mortgage payers and those who have lost there jobs all up until a week ago planned to keep living a normal life....

This is not normal life. I genuinely believe where organisations can help particularly where the organisation survives because of those licence fee payers that it helps if and where it can because its a self deprecating scenario....not reducing or freezing payments etc only puts pressure on boaters, like home owners who have lost job, reduced incomes etc. Mortgage payments freezes, furlough, self employed all helped...boats are homes too and most not mortgaged so  whilst no expense what help is available...this freeze could assist. Boaters may be furloughed, boaters may loose jobs some boaters are not pleasure cruisers with a 30k toy sat there.....real people, community boaters could be overlooked and plunged deeper into debt and struggle so C&RT dont get payment anyway in the long run.

Im all for wealth and working hard for it but these are special times that can not be helped by anyone...this is forced upon people and business and if possible we all need to do what we can corporation and mr smith base level worker alike. 

Edited by Matt&Jo

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

I understand you point here david and this does not affect me so just an outsider view point but just like many other businesses and home owners and mortgage payers and those who have lost there jobs all up until a week ago planned to keep living a normal life....

This is not normal life. I genuinely believe where organisations can help particularly where the organisation survives because of those licence fee payers that it helps if and where it can because its a self deprecating scenario....not reducing or freezing payments etc only puts pressure on boaters, like home owners who have lost job, reduced incomes etc. Mortgage payments freezes, furlough, self employed all helped...boats are homes too and most not mortgaged so  whilst no expense what help is available...this freeze could assist. Boaters may be furloughed, boaters may loose jobs some boaters are not pleasure cruisers with a 30k toy sat there.....real people, community boaters could be overlooked and plunged deeper into debt and struggle so C&RT dont get payment anyway in the long run.

Im all for wealth and working hard for it but these are special times that can not be helped by anyone...this is forced upon people and business and if possible we all need to do what we can corporation and mr smith base level worker alike. 

You're dealing with CRT,the customer is always wrong. But, I suppose with most of its income guaranteed, they will not need to approach the government, to help keep the staff paid. Marina staff are also fairly well covered on that score, too. With mooring fees already collected, that's most of the marina's income. If the mooring fees are collected, so is the access payment to CRT

With some sympathy, I personally think boat owners ask for all the hassle they get. They love eating BS. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Angry 1

11 minutes ago, Higgs said:

You're dealing with CRT,the customer is always wrong. But, I suppose with most of its income guaranteed, they will not need to approach the government, to help keep the staff paid. Marina staff are also fairly well covered on that score, too. With mooring fees already collected, that's most of the marina's income. If the mooring fees are collected, so is the access payment to CRT

With some sympathy, I personally think boat owners ask for all the hassle they get. They love eating BS. 

Yes its already collected so budgeted for and spent...just think perhaps next year they could all get a reduced rate as a goodwill off licences due to inability to navigate unless under permitted circumstances such as water etc. 

Just think it may help build relations as a whole. 

Im a nobody a skidmark on life's undercrackers but we all have an opinion i guess. 

Have a good lockdown tuesday all ?

Just now, Matt&Jo said:

Yes its already collected so budgeted for and spent...just think perhaps next year they could all get a reduced rate as a goodwill off licences due to inability to navigate unless under permitted circumstances such as water etc. 

Just think it may help build relations as a whole. 

Im a nobody a skidmark on life's undercrackers but we all have an opinion i guess. 

Have a good lockdown tuesday all ?

They don't have to bother building relationships with people, they don't have to work for the income. It's guaranteed. 

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

They don't have to bother building relationships with people, they don't have to work for the income. It's guaranteed. 

If your correct higgs thats a sad state of affairs....i hope they do care but stories you hear over and over i will admit counter that hope

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

If your correct higgs thats a sad state of affairs....i hope they do care but stories you hear over and over i will admit counter that hope

He isn't correct.
It is also worth remembering that Higgs has an agenda over anything to do with CaRT, and makes unfounded and inaccurate accusations about them all the time.
Frankly you are better ignoring him. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1