Can a boat in a closed marina be declared off water?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Why?

Those boaters will still expect everything to be full of water, locks working and vegetation cut back when they finally get to go out....or are you suggesting CRT abandon the system for a month of two?

EA appears to have stopped all work on the Nene. Lower Lilford lock broken, oh we will leave it until later as no one is using it

5 hours ago, Duke 1956 said:

Our boat is moored in Cropredy Marina (so off the CRT managed waterway which is the South Oxford at that point)

Since March 24th the marina has been closed and boaters are not allowed to visit the marina or their boat. 

Given that the boat is off the system for the time being (and probably for another three or four weeks at least) can I declare it off water and get a refund from CRT?

Hopefully yes!

Cheers

So is mine and the answer will be no.

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

I very much doubt the c&rt are in full swing due to corona so with a skeleton crew i doubt they are doing very much at all apart from critical roles....furloughed no doubt.

Most if not all of the bankside staff have been furloughed

14 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Why? CRT still getting their license monies and grants.

I assume protection of staff, information came from member of CaRT office staff who is a close friend whilst we were discussing towpath closure.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - as per the licence T&Cs I posted a couple of days ago.

Its not about t&c's its about doing the right thing. Sharing the pain. 

If C&RT are reducing costs because people are furloughed they should share the saving, not bank the saving . Especially so as C&RT are allegedly a charity . Let them be charitable .

I have nothing to make from this suggestion  as I don't have a river license at the moment.

I think you are making the common mistake that as a charity they should "give money to those in need", nothing could be further from the truth. C&RT are a commercial limited company.

There are many types of 'charities'.

Have a look at the statement at companies house regarding C&RTs objectives and powers

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think you are making the common mistake that as a charity they should "give money to those in need", nothing could be further from the truth. C&RT are a commercial limited company.

There are many types of 'charities'.

Have a look at the statement at companies house regarding C&RTs objectives and powers

Forget about all that . It's time to give back.

The argument about reduced or no licence fee doesnt stack up when one considers council tax isn't being reduced despite reduced services being provided by local authorities.

15 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The argument about reduced or no licence fee doesnt stack up when one considers council tax isn't being reduced despite reduced services being provided by local authorities.

What services funded by council tax  have been reduced ? We have had one missed bin collection , which is insignificant.

Otherwise  service as normal and probably increased demand on social services .

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What services funded by council tax  have been reduced ? We have had one missed bin collection , which is insignificant.

We have no street lighting

Schools are closed

Bin collection now monthly

Not seen a Policeman for 6+ years

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I bet half the staff are furloughed too.

Public services/organisations are explicitly excluded from the furlough scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme#who-can-claim

The government expects that the scheme will not be used by many public sector organisations, as most public sector employees are continuing to provide essential public services or contribute to the response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Where employers receive public funding for staff costs, and that funding is continuing, we expect employers to use that money to continue to pay staff in the usual fashion – and correspondingly not furlough them. This also applies to non-public sector employers who receive public funding for staff costs.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Schools are closed

Street lighting is normal here (you are joking about that aren't you)

School teachers are not furloughed - still producing lesson plans - even my 5 year old grand daughter has received school work to do via her mother.

Still taking children of key workers to school (not sure about that)  ?

Bin collection here is as normal apart from one missed collection of recycle bin. The dirty bin was collected this morning as usual (yes Bank  Holiday Monday)

Seen more police presence here than usual. If you haven't see a policeman for 6 years what has changed ?

Edited by MartynG

32 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Bin collections reduced.

Library's closed.

Schools closed.

Health Visiting services reduced.

Recycling centre closed.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I bet half the staff are furloughed too.

I bet they aint.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

Bin collections reduced.

Library's closed.

Schools closed.

Health Visiting services reduced.

Since the end of March, or just generally over the years?

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Where employers receive public funding for staff costs, and that funding is continuing, we expect employers to use that money to continue to pay staff in the usual fashion – and correspondingly not furlough them. This also applies to non-public sector employers who receive public funding for staff costs.

Hmm.  Does that describe CRT I wonder?

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Schools are closed

Daughter is a primary school teacher. She has to produce one on-line lesson each day, she goes to school one day each week to teach essential worker children, she has a phone call with every pupil and their parents once each week, and still has admin jobs. She regards this as a great holiday compared to her usual workload.

...............Dave

24 minutes ago, MartynG said:

1) Street lighting is normal here (you are joking about that aren't you)

2) School teachers are not furloughed - still producing lesson plans - even my 5 year old grand daughter has received school work to do via her mother.

3 Still taking children of key workers to school (not sure about that)  ?

4 Bin collection here is as normal apart from one missed collection of recycle bin. The dirty bin was collected this morning as usual (yes Bank  Holiday Monday)

5) Seen more police presence here than usual. If you haven't see a policeman for 6 years what has changed ?

1 No, not joking

2) Schools are closed, parents cannot work as kids have to stay at home. Single mother cannot take her 18 month old 'into work'.

3)

4) Bin collection cancelled for 1 month and then reviewed

5) We stopped doing bacon butties and they stopped coming.

Thought the idea to furlough staff was to protect employees of companies that no longer could sustain income to pay their employees. CRT’s income, as I understand it, is from all our licenses and government grants etc.

Therefore, why would they get 80% of their employees wages paid by the government. If that be the case, then the call for a refund of license fees sounds appropriate.

Are CRT trying it on?

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Thought the idea to furlough staff was to protect employees of companies that no longer could sustain income to pay their employees. CRT’s income, as I understand it, is from all our licenses and government grants etc.

Therefore, why would they get 80% of their employees wages paid by the government. If that be the case, then the call for a refund of license fees sounds appropriate.

Are CRT trying it on?

You make a good case. A chat with your MP perhaps?

Ah.... I think I see a problem there.....