Kate boats

Deepinvet

Featured Posts

We have hired a boat from kate boats, (again) We are hoping to do the Warks ring going Anti-clockwise or so I thought untill I looked on here.

Now bearing in mind sunset is about 17:00 hrs for that week give or take a minute or 2, would we be able to leave Kate boats and do Hatton flight (clockwise) before it gets dark? Assuming we leave about 2:30?

Or would it be better to go Anti-clockwise. We do have an experienced crew.

The boat we are going on is Patricia Helen so if anybody has any info or pictures that would be great.

Any comments welcome

Stuart M

We have hired a boat from kate boats, (again) We are hoping to do the Warks ring going Anti-clockwise or so I thought untill I looked on here.

Now bearing in mind sunset is about 17:00 hrs for that week give or take a minute or 2, would we be able to leave Kate boats and do Hatton flight (clockwise) before it gets dark? Assuming we leave about 2:30?

The boat we are going on is Patricia Helen so if anybody has any info or pictures that would be great.

Any comments welcome

Stuart M

I would say that you be pushing it. If we have a full complement of crew we can do Hatton in 2.5 hours. Add in Cape locks, cruising and getting to know your boat and you'll be mooring in the dark!

Richard

That could be a bit tight. If you're lucky enough to share Hatton flight with another boat with plenty of crew, you might be fine. When Kev and I did Hatton flight with a crew on one (me!) on our own, it took around 5 hours! Oh, and it was pishing down, which didn't help. :mellow:

I've come down Hatton in 1hour 40, but it was with two boats, a very experienced crew and lock wheelers on bicycles, and most importantly, nobody got in our way.....Going up, especially with just the one boat is likely to take longer. (you might need to rope up in the locks) I recall the locks fill slower than empty

You could always moor overnight in the 'sylum pound and go up the thick in the morning...... :mellow:

Hi all thanks for the replies,

We have 4 teenagers as crew plus swbo, so we will check on the weather on the day and make a decision on the day I think?

The thing I don't want, is to be really pushing it the last day so nobody enjoys it. Hatton flight is nice to do in a sadistic way.

Hopefully we will meet up with another boat going that way and go up together.

Stuart M

Any comments welcome

Stuart M

There is an article on the Warwickshire ring in the October issue of Waterways World, complerte with a suggested itinery, but they imply that you need 8 or 9 days!!! It may be worth getting a copy.

We have done the ring easily in a week including a vist to Warwick Castle but this was in Aug/Sept when you can cruise longer. We aim to cruise from 9.00 - 6.00ish with a break for lunch so you might find it a bit tight in October. By the way up or down our 'worst' time for the flight is 2 hours 35 mins!! on our own I might say, 2 hours 15 with another boat. Crew of 5 on our boat with 2 going ahead. :mellow: Julie

Edited by purplehaze

...... but they imply that you need 8 or 9 days!!!

We did the Warwickshire ring about 5 years ago in a week in early september on a UCC boat out of Braunston, only we included a detour to Stratford - Tewkesbury - Worcester - Birmingham.........We even had time to include the Coventry Arm in the trip. :mellow:

Our itinery was:-

Day 1. Birdingbury Wharf (top of Stockton)

Day 2. Wooten Warwen

Day 3. Wyre Piddle

Day 4. Tibberton

Day 5. Gas Street Basin

Day 6. Coventry Basin

Day 7. Braunston

We have done the Warks Ring from Kate Boats in a week (although it was in September, so longer daylight hours) and we got up the Hatton flight on the first afternoon. Each time we hired from Kate Boats we were lucky in being able to get away early. We arrived in Warwick in time for lunch, and phoned them on the off chance the boat might be ready. It might be work phoning the week before, because if that particular boat isn't out, you might be able to arrange an early pick-up.

• 2 months later...
We have done the Warks Ring from Kate Boats in a week (although it was in September, so longer daylight hours) and we got up the Hatton flight on the first afternoon. Each time we hired from Kate Boats we were lucky in being able to get away early. We arrived in Warwick in time for lunch, and phoned them on the off chance the boat might be ready. It might be work phoning the week before, because if that particular boat isn't out, you might be able to arrange an early pick-up.

What are Kate Boats like?

would you recommend them?

Ron

Edited by Ron

We have hired from them a few times over the years the first time was about 15 years ago and they were good then, as they are still today. A very good hire firm, but then most of them are nowadays the poor ones don't seem to last or word gets around and nobody uses them.

A good location with plenty of options on direction of travel, and easy to find, with a very large Tesco nearby which is great for the first and last day breakfast!

Stuart M

We have hired from them a few times over the years the first time was about 15 years ago and they were good then, as they are still today. A very good hire firm, but then most of them are nowadays the poor ones don't seem to last or word gets around and nobody uses them.

A good location with plenty of options on direction of travel, and easy to find, with a very large Tesco nearby which is great for the first and last day breakfast!

Stuart M

I have put a link to this topic on http://www.canalbarge.co.uk/narrowboat_int...esults_page.asp as comment on Kate Boats

(unashamed plug for an incomplete ongoing project that you are welcome to contribute too)

Ron

Edited by Ron

Stuart M

So, how was the Warwickshire Ring?

Richard

I am pleased to see that Kate Boats still has a good reputation. We hired from them for three years until we ran out of new canal to cruise from Warwick. Mr Simmons was in charge then but I think that he has either retired or sold the business or both since we last had anything to do with them.

Nick