Eberspacher advice sought.

Cleggy

Featured Posts

Can anybody help me sort this out?

When I bought my boat it came complete with a non functioning Eberspacher D5W. I was told it needed a control board and we agreed a discount on the basis that it wasn’t working and that the part has being sought then when it arrived it would be forwarded to me. However when it did arrive some 3 months later the vendor said I would have to pay for it which is not what I thought we had agreed. I thought the discount was for my inconvenience and the fact I would have to fit it myself or pay someone to do it. Long story short I still have a non-functioning Eberspacher.

I have posted 3 pictures of what I have. I do not need automation or remote control or a timer, I am happy to turn it on and off manually. It would just make more sense to me to be able to brew up a tank of hot water without running a 2 litre Diesel engine for a couple of hours.

As you can see from the pictures I have a heater, a wall mounted box and a pull switch on a knob. When I connect the heater to the box with the plug and socket by the heater unit (both present and correct) and turn it on nothing happens.

So can anyone tell me what is missing and or what I need to do to make this kit functional.

In anticipation of your useful advice and replies, Thank you.

David

Eberspacher_wallbox_II.jpg

Switch.jpg

Eberspacher_heater.jpg

The inside of your terminal box seems to show a white socket with a 4 pin plug in it and there is a loose 4 pin plug at the bottom of the box. Perhaps try swapping the plugs as these may be alternative forms of switching. Is there any power to the box? Red will be positive and brown will be ground, both should be permanently connected whilst the yellow wire triggers the heater when connected to positive .

Edited by davidb
Question mark posn

9 hours ago, Cleggy said:

Can anybody help me sort this out?

When I bought my boat it came complete with a non functioning Eberspacher D5W. I was told it needed a control board and we agreed a discount on the basis that it wasn’t working and that the part has being sought then when it arrived it would be forwarded to me. However when it did arrive some 3 months later the vendor said I would have to pay for it which is not what I thought we had agreed. I thought the discount was for my inconvenience and the fact I would have to fit it myself or pay someone to do it. Long story short I still have a non-functioning Eberspacher.

I have posted 3 pictures of what I have. I do not need automation or remote control or a timer, I am happy to turn it on and off manually. It would just make more sense to me to be able to brew up a tank of hot water without running a 2 litre Diesel engine for a couple of hours.

As you can see from the pictures I have a heater, a wall mounted box and a pull switch on a knob. When I connect the heater to the box with the plug and socket by the heater unit (both present and correct) and turn it on nothing happens.

So can anyone tell me what is missing and or what I need to do to make this kit functional.

In anticipation of your useful advice and replies, Thank you.

David

Eberspacher_wallbox_II.jpg

Switch.jpg

Eberspacher_heater.jpg

Look at the topic "nightheaters" it was started by an accredited erbersplutter engineer who states he is willing to offer free advice on this forum, could be a great help to you.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

In the bottom picture the plug dangling down from the Ebby needs connecting to the socket top left of the picture.

Yes, I guessed that and  have connected those two together, still no joy but with every visit to my engine compartment I get a little closer :) Thanks for the input though Ray.

We have a very similar looking set up on our ebersparky.

when you say "nothing happens" ....is that what you really mean? Nothing? No clicks, total silence?

One very common fault and ours does it every 12 months or so is that the connections in the connections box (first photo) can get corroded and the blade fuses need pulling and cleaning and so does the relay. When you start it up there a click after 1 second then silence if there is a bad connection.

If it is toatally silent then maybe you are getting no power at all. Check the fuses.

I would concur with Dr. Bob.  My junction box is very  much the same and you don't need the half of what is in there.  Do you have a wiring diagram?  I can let you have a copy if you want to PM me.  The circuitry includes for other external equipment found in trucks/buses/trains etc. You can even bin the relay as it doesn't do anything!

Wiggle the fuses around in the holder and check the red one [main] for continuity.

One other thing I see from the picture of the unit, you should have a flexi hose connected to the air inlet to draw cooler air away from the exhaust which reaches >200 deg C.  I didn't and it cooked the ECU[Brain] at a cost of £300!

• 1 month later...