Fitting a galvanic isolator

Featured Posts

That company seems to be happy with adverts that seem more intent on puffing the product rather than informing customers. Several others have explained that to you. For example seeing the absolute maximum current rating a marina bollard might be rated at is 32 amps (and all but certainly far less) what exactly is the importance of the (if I recollect correctly) them quoting a maximum current of 70 amps. That is far too low to be the maximum fault current - again  as has been explained to you - and too high to represent the maximum continuous current. It may well be the diodes' current rating but that has no relevance in use and they do not say that. It looks like numbers being quoted to puff the product. I do not say as others have that the company do not properly understand GIs but I do think they are not being upfront so just how far should their product be trusted with your life and that is what it comes down to if the diodes fail open circuit.

There is an accepted standard for GIs and that company choose either not to build to it or if they do not advertise the fact, why?

I'm with Blackrose on this one. I don't see how a complaint because their advert failed to mention that it doesn't apply to boats which don't have a shoreline, has anything remotely to do with the question whether or not it is significant that their adverts (just like those of many other companies) fail to mention the issue of transient currents - something which 99.9% of their potential customers would not understand anyway.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

My point is why have you not made complaints to the ASA about all the similar ads from other companies that basically say the same thing? Just look at any ads for GIs - they all talk about various degrees of possibility of metal parts and boats being eaten away.

Can you point us to an example?

20 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I'm with Blackrose on this one. I don't see how a complaint because their advert failed to mention that it doesn't apply to boats which don't have a shoreline, has anything remotely to do with the question whether or not it is significant that their adverts (just like those of many other companies) fail to mention the issue of transient currents - something which 99.9% of their potential customers would not understand anyway.

Simple really. An advert must not be misleading and those, at the time were. If they wee considered not to be the ASA would not have intervened and the adverts would not have changed. So we have a company that has in the past placed misleading adverts, still, in my view place adverts that leave much unsaid. Now,its your and others life than might depend on the GI not failing open circuit so why risk it with a product that has unknown specifications for the vital parts of performance so why risk it. All they have to do is build to the ABYC standards and advertise it as such. They do not advertise it a such so exactly what are its performance specs. It seems no one here knows for sure and the company do not deem to advertise them. The question is can the product be trusted.

24 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Got my Aquafax 16amp GI this morning. Attached is the documentation that comes with it, thought it might be of interest?

Nice.  Simple, accurate, and no inflated marketing blurb.

On 11/05/2020 at 12:59, WotEver said:

Nice.  Simple, accurate, and no inflated marketing blurb.

Agreed.

The topic of if a companies advert was in breach of ASA guidelines or not is interesting and a mild reflection on their marketing, but not necessarily or even likely anything to do with the quality of the product or the effectiveness of it or others in operation, assuming correct installation on a suitable craft. 

We don't have a GI on EmilyAnne, but she is only plugged in a shoreline for a few hours a week, any more and I would certainly look into it. If my boat was plugged in 24/7 I expect I would be looking at Isolating transformers, but have not read up enough on the topic.

Daniel