understanding my batteries ???

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes but that is your choice. I bet the vast majority of inland boats have virtually no electronics save those inside a rev counter, radio and alternator. plus battery chargers and inverters if the boat has them.

BM offer three courses one of which is straight electrics, electronic installation is another one.

What’s a radio?

LED lights, tv, usb charging points, fridge, washing machine, Travelpower, battery monitor, solar controller are all things commonly found on boats and have electronics. Additionally we have an electronic dc power distribution system but as you say, that is unusual.

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

and in the context of this question what the hell has electRONICS got to do with it? The experience needed is in 12/24V DC ELECTRICS. I well remember a fair number of army electronic students who failed their phase tests and got back squadded to vehicles. They were absolutely petrified by the fact we happily expected them to wok on circuits carrying hundreds of amps and were convinced they would die if they touched a live 12/24V conductor.

BM do seem to offer three courses and I think experience in a well defined branch of electronics is probably correct for one course but the one relevant to this topic should, in my view, as for proof of experience in automotive, plant, or agricultural vehicle ELECTRICS.

Reminds me of my career beginnings.

I obtained qualifications in industrial electronics at college, where I was used to working with micro and milli amps, then joined BT on the power section, where the DC plant had a capacity of 1000's of amps (one exchange had 5 x 15,050Ah batteries) and the AC plant I worked on was 415 volts or 11,000 volts. It was all a bit of a culture shock at first.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Reminds me of my career beginnings.

I obtained qualifications in industrial electronics at college, where I was used to working with micro and milli amps, then joined BT on the power section, where the DC plant had a capacity of 1000's of amps (one exchange had 5 x 15,050Ah batteries) and the AC plant I worked on was 415 volts or 11,000 volts. It was all a bit of a culture shock at first.

I had a similar experience. Following a couple of years working on flight sims for Redifon I fancied a career change and walked across the road to talk to Hellerman. I was taken into a room with 10ft high insulators, shown a thyristor the size of a suitcase, and asked what I knew about 400kV transmission lines. I went back to the safety of my TTL and analogue circuits.