Satellite TV.

Gerry underwood

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Do you mean Martyn of Travelsat? His web site seems to be updated so I guess yes, his ads appear everywhere.

Only used him twice and we can very much recommend him, very helpful and accommodating. Really will 'go anywhere'.

BTW, whilst you can set up the sat dish using a compass and your tv, it can at times be frustrating. The best present I gave myself was a more upmarket sat finder, not quite in the pro league, but with a screen to show a picture when tuned in and does not use the tv set - in fact the dish plugs directly into it.

11 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

I use a Primesat SF500 Mk2, can just be set to look for a particular signal so saves getting wrong one.

also use an iPhone app called Dish Align to work out if i'm likely to get a signal before bothering with the dish

I bought the Primesat sf700. Sooooo easy now.

For a couple of years I used. Cheapo sat finder £30 ish. It was ok but you became used to which sat was the rifght one...3 or 4 in the general direction you need. Problem was if there were nearby trees. You had to peak your signal AND check the sky box was getting the signal otherwise you might be on the wrong satellite. 

I finally got fed up with the faffing and spent £130 on a decent finder as we tend to move each day. This new one is magic. It only responds to the one you want and is plugged in to the dish, not the sky box. Less than a minute to set up. 

Also buy the push on connectors....so much easier to use.

To the OP. It's much cheaper to do it yourself. We had to, as Martyn didn't have a dish to fit the Sky Q LNB so we just bought a new dish and stuck it on the roof 

I just use Nicholson’s to check which way is south east.  Rotate around this direction and when the sat finder squeals listen for the programme. If it doesn’t, just move it slightly to the left and down a bit.

As long as no trees are in the way it usually takes me less than a minute.

I use BNC connectors to quickly slot in the sat finder.

2 hours ago, dor said:

I just use Nicholson’s to check which way is south east.  Rotate around this direction and when the sat finder squeals listen for the programme. If it doesn’t, just move it slightly to the left and down a bit.

As long as no trees are in the way it usually takes me less than a minute.

I use BNC connectors to quickly slot in the sat finder.

That's the way I used to do it. I found however with our Sky Q box, it could take up to a minute of being on the right satellite to  get the tv to show the program. Usually it was a lot faster so if on a strong signal the tv didnt come on, I assumed I was on the wrong satellite and turned the dish. 90% it was good. If there were trees around, it could fool you into thinking there was no Astra 2. The new 'finder' is really so much easier ....but at a cost.

The Nicholson's technique is all you need to get the general direction. Good call.