Satellite TV.

Gerry underwood

Featured Posts

Do you mean Martyn of Travelsat? His web site seems to be updated so I guess yes, his ads appear everywhere.

Only used him twice and we can very much recommend him, very helpful and accommodating. Really will 'go anywhere'.

BTW, whilst you can set up the sat dish using a compass and your tv, it can at times be frustrating. The best present I gave myself was a more upmarket sat finder, not quite in the pro league, but with a screen to show a picture when tuned in and does not use the tv set - in fact the dish plugs directly into it.

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The best present I gave myself was a more upmarket sat finder, not quite in the pro league, but with a screen to show a picture when tuned in and does not use the tv set - in fact the dish plugs directly into it.

Really? Do tell more (or post a link perhaps).

Many apps make use of the phone's compass, which can be inaccurate due to the amount of steel present.

One alternative, if the sun is shining or at least creates a bright spot in the sky, is to use my Satellite Sundial which you print out on 12 sheets of paper (or 6 double-sided). It has the advantage that by holding the paper or putting it on the hatch in front of you, it is easy to bring the boat to a halt and moor next to a narrow gap in the trees or buildings.

35 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I just use a free phone app called Satfinder. It shows you a google maps style image of where you are, plus a red line to show the direction to point your dish. It usually takes me about 2 mins to find the signal.

Me too, only its usually the signal from the other, nearby, wrong, satellite! :)

18 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Many apps make use of the phone's compass, which can be inaccurate due to the amount of steel present.

One alternative, if the sun is shining or at least creates a bright spot in the sky, is to use my Satellite Sundial which you print out on 12 sheets of paper (or 6 double-sided). It has the advantage that by holding the paper or putting it on the hatch in front of you, it is easy to bring the boat to a halt and moor next to a narrow gap in the trees or buildings.

Easiest approximation, at least to moor where a signal likely :

point one arm where sun us likely to set - west

point other arm directly opposite - east

Move first arm half way between  - south

half way between is south east, approx satellite direction

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Really? Do tell more (or post a link perhaps).

Satlink WS 6906 is wot I use.

30 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

You’re bonkers ?

I love it

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Easiest approximation, at least to moor where a signal likely :

point one arm where sun us likely to set - west

point other arm directly opposite - east

Move first arm half way between  - south

half way between is south east, approx satellite direction

Satlink WS 6906 is wot I use.

More bonkers 

I love it ?

Edited by Goliath

34 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Is there owt worth watching to make the expense and effort worthwhile?

My thoughts as well. I've got all the kit but only used it once in what? 10 years. It's now in the workshop on a shelf.

You don't need a professional to set it up. Just get a sat finder (last one I bought was a fiver from e bay. Turn the TV on, We have a dish on a pole behind the wheelhouse, rotate the dish till the sat finder squeals bigly and that is probably the one you're after. You might, just might than get a picture. If your telly has a set up menu then fiddle about till you get a signal strength thingy, V. carefully rotate the dish and voila.! it will work. Next night, after moving, do it all over again. Very occasionally if you do many miles you just might need to adjust the tilt a teensy bit.

46 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Is there owt worth watching to make the expense and effort worthwhile?

Yes plenty. Depends what you like I suppose but there are lots of interesting documentaries and science programmes on bbc4 for example

40 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Never had a problem with that, I wasn't even aware that my phone had a compass to be honest but I guess it must do. Anyway, if that really is an issue all you've got to do is step off the boat and walk a few yards away.

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes plenty. Depends what you like I suppose but there are lots of interesting documentaries and science programmes on bbc4 for example

Fair enough. 

I thought most would use it for sport. 

I’m happy with iPlayer through the phone’s data. The odd film, and of course a regular Eastenders fix. 

This is what the free Satfinder app displays. You just choose which satellite to aim for and it gives you a red line to direct the dish towards. It's very easy. 

Of course the elevation of a dish needs to be set, but usually that's just the first time you use it. After that it doesn't normally change.

Screenshot_20191026-184554.png

Edited by blackrose

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

This is what the free Satfinder app displays. You just choose which satellite to aim for and it gives you a red line to direct the dish towards. It's very easy. 

Of course the elevation of a dish needs to be set, but usually that's just the first time you use it. After that it doesn't normally change.

Screenshot_20191026-184554.png

Good stuff

like it

but not for me

Can we come to yours for the rugby final?

27 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Having read this lot I can see why more and more people are streaming TV from their phones! ?

If you have unlimited data and a good phone signal then that's a good option. Fortunately the technologies aren't mutually exclusive so there's no real argument in favour of one or the other. I don't have unlimited data so I do a bit of both.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

Fair enough. 

I thought most would use it for sport. 

I’m happy with iPlayer through the phone’s data. The odd film, and of course a regular Eastenders fix. 

I was going along with your views but 'Eastenders'  Yak, Yak,Yak. On the other hand watching paint dry is interesting. :cheers: 

• Greenie 1