Engine bilge water level

Benboat

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, dor said:

Don't underestimate the bang that occurs when a direct connection to the battery makes contact with the hull!

Many years ago at the Gliding Club we used to get old (big engined) vehicles (Jags etc) for tow cars to launch the Gliders.

We needed to be able to see when they were overhead and releasing the tow cable, so we had to cut the roof off ( a very large sun-roof)

We had a couple of very large truck batteries to which we connected huge thick cables, one cable was attached to the car chassis - the other we used to 'touch' the roof and as we drew it along the roof it 'cut' thru the roof like a welding torch.

There is a lot of energy in 12v batteries.

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Many years ago at the Gliding Club we used to get old (big engined) vehicles (Jags etc) for tow cars to launch the Gliders.

We needed to be able to see when they were overhead and releasing the tow cable, so we had to cut the roof off ( a very large sun-roof)

We had a couple of very large truck batteries to which we connected huge thick cables, one cable was attached to the car chassis - the other we used to 'touch' the roof and as we drew it along the roof it 'cut' thru the roof like a welding torch.

There is a lot of energy in 12v batteries.

When I was a kid Car Mechanics magazine use to advertise a welder to run off a car battery

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

indeed....

not sure if this is of any help but when we looked about our main thing we looked at was the engine bay as we thought if this is half decent then the rest of the boat probably has been looked after....

We saw lots of 'lovely' boats, but were a different story under the stern deck!   many were rooms never visited and it showed!

As an aside, with this boat having a red Beta, is this a sea going one, or does it not really work like that!

I recall discussing colours with Ted Spash in the early days of Beta (at that time many were brown - as was mine) He said that salty water boaters wouldn't have green (which was the company's colour of choice), thus wne Beta started to develop the real marine market, they painted seagoing engines red. For differentiating their inland products from other marinisers the standard colour was green..

There are some differences between the extras on a salty engine vs: an inland one. Given that this one is a smaller engine - it could well have been rescued from a sea going boat.

Mark you if it is / was in reasonable condition it doesn't really matter what the source was -it's how well it's been looked after that counts and an external examination won't show what's wrong inside.

These engines go on for years - provided  that the oil is relatively clean and chaned occasionally....

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Benboat said:

I think I’ll give it a miss for 12k.

You will be very lucky to get a steel boat for £12k, all you will get us a heap of expensive trouble.

Get towards £20k and you should start to find boats that need less then £5k spending on them to get them usable and passing the safety tests.

Now for £8k - £10k you'll get an excellent condition GRP boat - just make sure that it has dimensions suitable for where you want to 'boat'.

7 hours ago, Benboat said:

The brokerage say it’s just rain water

In which case I would be asking myself:

1) How much it rained over the last six months (i.e. not much), and

2) Why have they not pumped it out on a boat apparently prepared for sale?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In which case I would be asking myself:

1) How much it rained over the last six months (i.e. not much), and

2) Why have they not pumped it out on a boat apparently prepared for sale?

Yeah I mean there has been a lot of rain in the last few weeks, but exactly why it hasn’t been pumped out is probably just down to neglect of duties from the brokerage