Feeding Ducks

Hobart

Feeding Ducks  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is feeding bread to ducks

• Harmless fun
    • Harmful to them

Featured Posts

Ducks,swans,seaguls all love a bit of warburtons. How many of us can actually hold us hands up and say weve seen birds with angel wing? i havent, Swmbo would be mortified if she couldn't give the little beggers their daily bread

I saw an angel with birds wings once. Ooops, wrong thread.

did she prefer wholegrain :D

or a crusty cob?

Last summer near Little Venice, I threw some bread to a Moorhen and chick that were in a empty hopper, the moorhen flew away and a Seagull dived down to the hopper and flew off with the Moorhen chick in its beak, horrible. :D

Last summer near Little Venice, I threw some bread to a Moorhen and chick that were in a empty hopper, the moorhen flew away and a Seagull dived down to the hopper and flew off with the Moorhen chick in its beak, horrible. :D

All meat a real treat

just goes to show that no matter what we feel is right or just, nature comes along an wee's on our strawberries

err have you anymore cheerful tales for us

Indeed.

I've even seen humans eating such things as chicken, duck, fish, pork, beef, lamb, diving down on their plates with a fork then lifting the latter and putting it up to their mouths, horrible. :D

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Personally I avoid feeding ducks, geese, swans or any other waterfowl. Firstly, I don't want to encourage them to tap on my hull at 5am begging for food and secondly, I'm sure that the huge quantities of bread thrown at them swells their numbers, which will in turn decimate the populations of the flora & fauna on which they feed, especially at times (such as in winter) when the bread isn't there. This imbalance can be seen at places like the Thames for example, where in the warmer months enormous flocks of overgrown swans gather in gangs at places close to human recreation and have become nothing more than white water rats.

Edited by blackrose

Proof that you should never feed aliens to ducks:

alien_in_duck.jpg

And absolute proof that bread will do them no harm...

duck.428x398.gif

Because they're not real! BW have built millions of little robots to spy on boaters (That's where your licence money is going1)

Edited by carlt

The swan near us know all the boats will feef them so we end up with them Tappp tappp tappp and cough coughing out side the windows at stupid time in the morning, they have even been trying to drink my dads cup of TEA!!

They have been on our river for about 5 yrs so i think they have got to know us!

My son likes feeding them bread but i try not to give them too much.

Dad feed them maggots and worms.

Personally I avoid feeding ducks, geese, swans or any other waterfowl. Firstly, I don't want to encourage them to tap on my hull at 5am begging for food and secondly, I'm sure that the huge quantities of bread thrown at them swells their numbers, which will in turn decimate the populations of the flora & fauna on which they feed, especially at times (such as in winter) when the bread isn't there. This imbalance can be seen at places like the Thames for example, where in the warmer months enormous flocks of overgrown swans gather in gangs at places close to human recreation and have become nothing more than white water rats.
Sounds like a similar problem alan partridge had with farmers keeping huge chickens in barns isnt there a recipie for swan on a previous thread somewhere?......do you recon they might be good on the barbie? or stewed for a long time on the stove to aid tenderisation?
The swan near us know all the boats will feef them so we end up with them Tappp tappp tappp and cough coughing out side the windows at stupid time in the morning, they have even been trying to drink my dads cup of TEA!!They have been on our river for about 5 yrs so i think they have got to know us!My son likes feeding them bread but i try not to give them too much.Dad feed them maggots and worms.
Hi an welcome i think the cough coughing is due to the first fag of the day They always hang around my boat waiting for the first dog end through the porthole