This can not be right?

fergyguy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Grebe said:

There's a winding hole just before the bridge hole.

In the 1980s it was our half-day trip out from Stockwith with visitors.  Two locks a picnic near the winding hole and then back.  Lucky ones got the full-day, Stockwith to Drakeholes and back four locks and a tunnel.

Pub optional.

Has the pub gone now?

I have nothing here to give you bridge numbers but if my memory serves me right the basin exit bridge at stockwith would stop most Widebeam boats then you travel towards Misterton your next bride is the train bridge next to what used to be the Packit in Pub then you move to the first lock but you have to go under the first narrow road bridge so it in my opinion a 12’ Widebeam wouldn’t get out the basin and even if it did the next bridge would stop it and a long reverse back to stockwith 

3 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

I have nothing here to give you bridge numbers but if my memory serves me right the basin exit bridge at stockwith would stop most Widebeam boats then you travel towards Misterton your next bride is the train bridge next to what used to be the Packit in Pub then you move to the first lock but you have to go under the first narrow road bridge so it in my opinion a 12’ Widebeam wouldn’t get out the basin and even if it did the next bridge would stop it and a long reverse back to stockwith 

Richards boat is 10 foot wide Martin and he made the journey but how far I have no idea

Correction just looked at pictures on web of bridge 85 and though it doesn’t give width it may be possible to get a Widebeam through but when I travel to Retford on a narrowboat I’m sure the next 3 bridges through Misterton would be a problem for a Widebeam 

I remember at the third bridge my brother fell off his bike under the bridge and it ended up in the cut and we fished him and it out and as kids we had no problem reaching it. I’m going to revisit Misterton very soon so will get some definite info and pictures as if for no other reason than to see if my memories are playing games on my mind lol

Here’s the basin exit and next three bridges including those at Misterton. The arched one isn’t massively generous but if the navigation authority say these are at least 13’ 6” there’s no evidence here to the contrary.

A675D3FD-50E7-4141-A4D1-3C75039589E8.jpeg

04035E59-738A-4B62-95A6-E8A7110B30DD.jpeg

4EC1179C-8188-4DA0-8F07-72E197F8E141.jpeg

7D4831F4-EB12-4479-A822-86ADDDDFCE36.jpeg

Edited by Captain Pegg

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Not sure but they managed to get turned around wherever it was ?

2 hours ago, Grebe said:

There's a winding hole just before the bridge hole.

In the 1980s it was our half-day trip out from Stockwith with visitors.  Two locks a picnic near the winding hole and then back.  Lucky ones got the full-day, Stockwith to Drakeholes and back four locks and a tunnel.

Pub optional.

That would fit with there being a narrow bridge hole at Bridge 78, about 2.5 miles from Stockwith Basin. There is a winding hole just in front. Can't remember anything before that which would stop a 10' wide boat, but I wasn't looking out for that.

44 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That would fit with there being a narrow bridge hole at Bridge 78, about 2.5 miles from Stockwith Basin. There is a winding hole just in front. Can't remember anything before that which would stop a 10' wide boat, but I wasn't looking out for that.

It seems this is the pinch point but I’d be pretty confident this is not 7’ 6” or even 9’. It’s wider than that.

9A1F990D-164A-4EBE-AA69-B27C383B748D.jpeg

ETA - I’ve approximated the position of the channel on the parapet above and counted the bricks. I got 18 stretchers which I believe is 13’ 6” which just happens to be the published width dimension.

Edited by Captain Pegg

35 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It seems this is the pinch point but I’d be pretty confident this is not 7’ 6” or even 9’. It’s wider than that.

9A1F990D-164A-4EBE-AA69-B27C383B748D.jpeg

ETA - I’ve approximated the position of the channel on the parapet above and counted the bricks. I got 18 stretchers which I believe is 13’ 6” which just happens to be the published width dimension.

Manor bridge, pictured above, is the first pinch point after leaving Stockwith. It’s definitely not over 13’ wide, more like 10’6”. It was narrowed when being rebuilt to allow heavy vehicles to access Manor Farm. 

It’s true that a widebeam made it as far as this back in 2008, as Peterboat reports, I was travelling with them. I believe that’s the last time a wide boat has ventured up the canal. The next narrows would be at Drakeholes, but nothing I can think of between there and Retford. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Manor bridge, pictured above, is the first pinch point after leaving Stockwith. It’s definitely not over 13’ wide, more like 10’6”. It was narrowed when being rebuilt to allow heavy vehicles to access Manor Farm. 

It’s true that a widebeam made it as far as this back in 2008, as Peterboat reports, I was travelling with them. I believe that’s the last time a wide boat has ventured up the canal. The next narrows would be at Drakeholes, but nothing I can think of between there and Retford. 

How far did they get? I have thought about it but cant remember.

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

How far did they get? I have thought about it but cant remember.

They turned at the winding hole just before Manor bridge, unfortunately without trying to navigate through the bridge first. Richard was keen to find a pub at that point, he’d had a stressful day with the cables pulling out his morse control while trying to enter Stockwith lock from the river!

I suggested they joined us for a run up to Walkeringham, knowing the bridges to there wouldn’t be a problem. I really didn’t think that nobody else does it with so many broad beam boats calling in at Stockwith.