LED lighting

cutandpolished61

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, cutandpolished61 said:

ge f162d/835/4p is the GE code. I definitely have to change them. Drawing to much power.

So that code suggests a 240V lamp. Are you sure they aren't running through your inverter? Turn it off will soon prove it (assuming you aren't plugged into shorepower or a generator).

Edited by rusty69

They are 12v fittings with a small inverter on a pcb inside connected to the on off switch, built in, a 7" square white plastic  cover, can't remember who's make but I have 6 of them. They were very popular 20 years ago!

I put another switch in them and a length of LED strip lamps stuck to the back behind the 16w D tube. So I have the choice of LED or Fluorescent or both together. A lot of light.

I am doubtful if you could simply replace the tube with an LED replacement without changing the wiring inside. They use 4 pin 16w  tubes without a seperate starter, the inverter takes care of starting.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

They are 12v fittings with a small inverter on a pcb inside connected to the on off switch, built in, a 7" square white plastic  cover, can't remember who's make but I have 6 of them. They were very popular 20 years ago!

I put another switch in them and a length of LED strip lamps stuck to the back behind the 16w D tube. So I have the choice of LED or Fluorescent or both together. A lot of light.

I am doubtful if you could simply replace the tube with an LED replacement without changing the wiring inside. They use 4 pin 16w  tubes without a seperate starter, the inverter takes care of starting.

Excellent. Some information from someone who has used them on a boat. My personal opinion is that the best way of converting these fittings to LED would be to strip out the mini inverter/starterr and the tube from inside and replace them with a suitable multi LED flat panel connected to the 12V input, as shown in the Bedazzled link I put in a previous reply. This would save the power loss from having to convert 12V to 240V, then back down to voltage inside a mains LED replacement and possibly still be powering the starter, even though it is no longer needed.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies