LED lighting

cutandpolished61

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Hi All,

may I ask for some advice please.  Still trying to understand the world of 12 volt. I have LED lights fitted but each light is drawing 0.9 amps.

How is it possible that they still need so much power?

Where is this 0.9A figure coming from? Are you measuring an individual lamp? If so how? Is it from a data sheet? Can you give us a link to the lamps you have? A 10W LED lamp would be big. So bright it could vaporise a cow at forty paces!

Jen

5 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

well it's not mentioned on the bulb. just a serial code from GE. googled it and it is a 16 watt bulb

Are you sure it is an LED?

16 watts is a huge power for an internal 12V LED cluster.

We have some quite powerful LED lamps that have whole sheet of small LEDs on them.  They are not the best or most efficient in the world, but they still draw under 0.3A so are under 4 watts.

We would need four of these large lamps on to match what you are saying.

A picture of what you have, (or a link to it online) might help us comment.

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Me confused (it doesn't take much). Are these 240V fluorescent lamps?

They look spookily similar to these:

https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/1416/0900766b814164a2.pdf

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Many thanks, so I could replace the 16w fluorescent bulb with a 6.5 w LED bulb without rewiring. 

Yup. On that website it reads:

Simply remove the old light bulb and replace, no re-wiring required. The GE LED 2 Pin Bulb uses almost 60% less energy than a 16W fluorescent equivalent and lasts much longer.

23 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Me confused (it doesn't take much). Are these 240V fluorescent lamps?

They look spookily similar to these:

https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/1416/0900766b814164a2.pdf

16 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

but currently I use the 4 pin version. Would the 2 pin version work?

We need to slow down here. We don't seem to have any confirmation if the LED replacements that are being linked to are for 240V AC mains, or 12V DC. That they don't mention voltage to me suggests they are for mains installations.

The difference between the two pin and four pin versions is that the two pin florescent tube has a starter built in to the tube and the four pin uses an external starter built in to the light fitting. If this is being replaced by an LED, then the starter is no longer needed, so it will only actually need to have 2 pins. If a 2 pin version will fit in a 4 pin socket is another matter. I don't know.

Bedazzled have their own recommendations for doing a 2D florescent to LED conversion. Not a direct swap, but still an easy conversion by removing the tube and any starter and sticking one of their LED clusters in the light fitting. Can @cutandpolished61 confirm that the current light fittings are definitely connected to a 12V supply, not mains from an inverter.

Jen

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

We need to slow down here. We don't seem to have any confirmation if the LED replacements that are being linked to are for 240V AC mains, or 12V DC. That they don't mention voltage to me suggests they are for mains installations.

I am getting confused. The OP mentioned 12V, but the picture linked to is 240V I think, as are the ones Cuthound linked to.So, if they are both 240V, not 12V, it is probably all good.

Right, I am off back to sleep now.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I am getting confused. The OP mentioned 12V, but the picture linked to is 240V I think, as are the ones Cuthound linked to.So, if they are both 240V, not 12V, it is probably all good.

Right, I am off back to sleep now.

He also said 0.9A flowing with one fitting, which again suggests 12V, but could there be an inverter in their somewhere and the 0.9A is what is coming out of the battery?

12V 2D florescent lights do seem to still exist, but I'm having great difficulty finding anyone still selling the tubes that aren't LED replacements of one sort or another.

Jen

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

He also said 0.9A flowing with one fitting, which again suggests 12V, but could there be an inverter in their somewhere and the 0.9A is what is coming out of the battery?

12V 2D florescent lights do seem to still exist, but I'm having great difficulty finding anyone still selling the tubes that aren't LED replacements of one sort or another.

Jen

Yep, I think the OP needs to clarify before going any further.So with that in mind, I have quoted this again:-

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

<Snip>

Can @cutandpolished61 confirm that the current light fittings are definitely connected to a 12V supply, not mains from an inverter.

Jen

Over to you OP.

6 minutes ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Hi all,

definitely 12v running from my 12 v battery bank

OK. Can you post a picture of the actual bulb you have and the GE serial code you have taken from it.A picture of the light fitting itself would also be useful if you intend to try and exchange your existing units for LED's. 

If you don't intend to,and are happy with the fluorescents, then don't bother.:)

The ones Jen linked to above may be a viable alternative.