Diesel bug

Roger Beattie

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, gbclive said:

Thanks for the suggestion - I’m probably uniquely incompetent, but I did not get on with my highly recommended Pella pump for emptying the oil sump of our Kelvin.

I ran out of hands to hold the container steady, hold the pump cylinder in place on to of its reservoir, then pump the pump whilst holding the suction pipe accurately in place (what a mess!).

So for that job I now successfully use a Lidl 12V oil pump?

So as I have one, I’ll give it a try, but it will need to be either a “2 crew” or 1 octopus operation.

Any other recommendations please?

Forgive me but I might suggest you are doing it wrong :)

I find the pela a simple thing to use, certainly no octopus required 

2 hours ago, gbclive said:

Thanks for the suggestion - I’m probably uniquely incompetent, but I did not get on with my highly recommended Pella pump for emptying the oil sump of our Kelvin.

I ran out of hands to hold the container steady, hold the pump cylinder in place on top of its reservoir, then pump the pump whilst holding the suction pipe accurately in place (what a mess!).

So for that job I now successfully use a Lidl 12V oil pump?

As I have one, I’ll give it a try, but it will need to be either a “2 crew” or 1 octopus operation.

Any other recommendations please?

Yes, don't try the 12V pu8mp like I did. The small bits of scale and rust jammed the rotor and blew the fuse. After cleaning it and removing the fuse I burnt the motor out. Probably excellent with oil but not for draining the bottom of the diesel tank.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, don't try the 12V pump like I did. The small bits of scale and rust jammed the rotor and blew the fuse. After cleaning it and removing the fuse I burnt the motor out. Probably excellent with oil but not for draining the bottom of the diesel tank.

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Forgive me but I might suggest you are doing it wrong :)

I find the pela a simple thing to use, certainly no octopus required 

You’re probably not wrong?

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, don't try the 12V pu8mp like I did. The small bits of scale and rust jammed the rotor and blew the fuse. After cleaning it and removing the fuse I burnt the motor out. Probably excellent with oil but not for draining the bottom of the diesel tank.

Thanks Tony - I meant that I would try the Pella for the diesel, not the 12v pump, which ISTR is not approved for fuel, only oil.

But thanks for the heads up on issues using electric pumps for fuel tank sediments - a clear winner for manual suction over electric.

So I’ll rescue the Pella from the loft, give it a clean and re-allocate it for fuel tank duties.

Problem solved?

4 hours ago, gbclive said:

Sorry for the slight highjack - I’d appreciate any recommendations for a suitable manual or 12v pump or siphon to remove any water found from a trad stern fuel tank.

Also to take samples to visually inspect the fuel from the bottom of the tank, to supplement the water indicating paste that I have on order.

Should I opt for a manual or electric solution?

Most of the electric pumps I’ve seen for diesel are the submergible type which I’m guessing is less ideal than ones where just a long hose is inserted to various parts of the bottom of the tank?

Thanks.

On the narrowboat I successfully used a successfully used a very cheap plastic syphon/bulb pump from Wilko or QD. Has to buy two of them to sacrifice the suction tube from one to extend the tube on the other. They were about £1 each. Worked a treat. 

17 minutes ago, DandV said:

On the narrowboat I successfully used a successfully used a very cheap plastic syphon/bulb pump from Wilko or QD. Has to buy two of them to sacrifice the suction tube from one to extend the tube on the other. They were about £1 each. Worked a treat. 

Like this ? E7BDEB18-7055-4BC7-AD5C-5DCF7D4E3CE8-large.jpg

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have just thrown one away, it was sucking air in all over and was only about 6 years old.

6 years for a quid. You do need to trim the bottom of the suction pipe square.

2 minutes ago, DandV said:

6 years for a quid. You do need to trim the bottom of the suction pipe square.

It leaked at the top, only chucked it 2 days ago at Calverley on the SU if you want a spare. Me I will fork out for a new one.