Continuous Cruising - YOUR definitions

tidal

Featured Posts

If Chris W says 10-20% he must be right, though possibly a little inexact. Doubtless a spreadsheet to back this claim and the varience is only a post away :P

It's spelt "variance" Tomsk.

Of course the distribution of non-licensed boats may not be uniform across the country.

Chris

Edited by chris w

If Chris W says 10-20% he must be right, though possibly a little inexact. Doubtless a spreadsheet to back this claim and the varience is only a post away :P
I suspect that there will be regional variations.
27,000 LICENSED so taking the 8% figure the 27,000 must be 92% so roughly is that total boats 29,3002,300 un-licensed.I stand to be corrected if the maths is out.
That's about right.It is, of course, not exactly knowable.1) BW know how many boats are licenced.2) They know how many licenced boats they found during the annual count (less than item 1)3) They know how many apparently unlicenced boats they found4) They know how many of item 3 were unidentifiableThe problem is that the boats at item 4 may be unlicenced, or they may be the missing licenced boats. They don't know (the missing licenced boats may be out of the water somewhere)

what was the original question again? :P

the original question... erm

does it matter? there's one originality about this topic, and that is you will never get a satisfactory answer.

You will only get a battle of words, a war because too many people are het up about this subject (eg make the f**kers pay vs a right to roam etc)

You only need to look at previous threads on this subject (including those famous 'last' and 'last' yet again threads on this subject) to know whether you need to don your armour for a war of errors, or just say bugger it who cares, this is a rat run, this is a fatutous thread, this is a dog eat dog thread, this a thread of class war proportions, this is a situation where only a proletarian revolution will regain the order of the day

The canals are full of people who will bend an agenda to suit themselves, it is as simple as that

The "canals are" full of people who will bend an agenda to suit themselves, it is as simple as that

"world is", shurely?

To summarise:

Definition of a CC'er;

BW: Anyone engaged in a continuous journey throughout the inland waterways network.

CWF: The scum of the earth, vile excresences from the arse of beelzebub.

Definition of a Bridge Hopper:

Someone who envies the respectability afforded to CC'ers.

For me as the originator of this thread (which actually was a genuine request for opinions) it has been very informative

Tongue in cheek jokes about hierachal status notwithstanding the replies indicate that the majority of posters on here still have a "live and let live" attitude to fellow boaters and users of the waterways.

Something I find refreshing in a world where polarisation is the norm.

edited for carp typing :P

Edited by tidal

In my local area (western K&A) I have noticed that a large proportion of the weekend boats on one spot of towpath pretending to cc are now on brokerage. Similarly the 48 hour moorings that up to now have been residential are now clear, and the recognisable livabourds who haven't moved in years are now chased away. The only non genuine ccers still in their home spot seem to be those who live out in the sticks rather than popular visitor destinations.

..........Tongue in cheek jokes about hierachal status notwithstanding the replies indicate that the majority of posters on here still have a "live and let live" attitude to fellow boaters and users of the waterways.

Something I find refreshing in a world where polarisation is the norm.

edited for carp typing <_<

I believe they can live-and-let-live so long as they pay what's due - like the rest of us do.

Chris

We have some visitor moorings on the Ashby near a very nice turning point, and near it there is a grassed area with picnic benches, popular with the local youths for having a b-b-q or a party for stopping for lunches etc.

Anyway lremember a time when our youngest was about 5 months old (so less than two years ago) that you would see the odd boat pass, or even the off boat moor up for lunch, but now (we have moved there for a few days (two week stop over) after escaping two boats from hell), there are at least 10 boats there, some of whom I know visit regularly to stop in that spot. It's also well known for useage for working getting paint jobs done as well.

There would have been no-one stopping there before, so in less than two years, I am assuming that there must be a lot more people on the cut in boats who are now using these moorings along with others as almost homes.

There are a few lower down that never move, and they are on a two week mooring as well. They are not popular ones, but then you can't moor there if they never move can you? I am sure they would call themselves CC'ers, but you know they are not.

They have been doing this for months, so I am guessing BW are no-where in sight.