winter mooring

rodlloyd

Featured Posts

I believe that some GRP boat owners stiore their boats ashore over the winter but this is often sea boats that need antifouling every year. Many other GRP boats and steel ones stay afloat over the winter and are only taken out for a very short period for blacking, cleaning, or repairs. This is especially true for inland boats.

Small boats may be stored ashore permanently where the cost of putting them in and out is either within the storage price or priced per lift/ This again seems to mainly apply to sea boats.

9 hours ago, rodlloyd said:

Not decided which marina I will use for the boat I am purchasing but is it normal to take the boat out of the water for the winter and if so does the monthly rate go down?

Rod

I have only ever found during my boat ownership that rates invariably only go one way, and its never down!! 

54 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I don't understand why the fees would be lower for a boat out of the water. It is occupying land owned by the marina, regardless of whether or not it is covered in water.

They 'just do'

Our boat in Plymouth :

'On the hard' = £2.60 per metre per week (week-by-week)

In the water = £8.63 per metre per week (for annual contract)

Maybe the amortisation and maintenance of pontoons, water and electric points, daily 'checking & walking the pontoons' etc and the ability to jump-onboard and cruise has added value to the boat owner.

Edited by Alan de Enfield