Mobile broadband internet access

MtB

Featured Posts

I know someone considering buying a boat to live on, but mobile broadband access is a condition. I'd find it dead useful in my van for work too. The more I think about it, the more I realise I can't think of a way to do it.

Anyone here got broadband without being hardwired across to the bank? How do you do it?

Cheers, Mike

Theres been a lot of discussion on this in the last couple of weeks.

I work from the boat, but use slow speed dial-up on a mobile, which is not ideal but its free for me because the company picks up the bill.

The concensus seems to be:

3G will probably be the answer when its finished - the coverage is too sporadic at the moment unless you spend a lot of time in a good spot.

GPRS is better coverage wise but the speeds are more aligned to a slow terrestrial dial up than broadband.

We have discussed having GPRS with Onspeed compression but that didn't come out too well in the field reports.

Satellite broadband works but is blo*dy expensive.

Theres been a lot of discussion on this in the last couple of weeks.

I work from the boat, but use slow speed dial-up on a mobile, which is not ideal but its free for me because the company picks up the bill.

The concensus seems to be:

3G will probably be the answer when its finished - the coverage is too sporadic at the moment unless you spend a lot of time in a good spot.

GPRS is better coverage wise but the speeds are more aligned to a slow terrestrial dial up than broadband.

We have discussed having GPRS with Onspeed compression but that didn't come out too well in the field reports.

Satellite broadband works but is blo*dy expensive.

As this topic keeps rearing its head I think we (as in mobile web users) put our heads together a come up with the best solution.

Edited by steveh

• 5 months later...
As this topic keeps rearing its head I think we (as in mobile web users) put our heads together a come up with the best solution.

11890[/snapback]

if your intrestad in wireless internet its available here in nottingham city center i use it and it works for me a local company runs it basic pak costs £11.50p a month they have plans to expand to cover the whole canal system if they can get enough intrest all they have to do is install a small trnsmiter at marinas locks etc so it is pos

Hi all

I dont usually discuss business on hear.

But if anyone is interested we have several 3G units on v/f and Orange for demonstration purposes, these can be sent out to you for test on one week loan with a returnable security deposit of £125 and any usage will be charged at £1.50 per MB .

There is ways of doing this with a laptop or a ordinary PC. and including a phone as well.

If anyone is interested in using one of these P/M me or phone and i will arrange it.

also if anyone wants one for a week or two for going on a trip we can hire the units out for £25 per week plus any usage.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been using a 3g data card supplied by Orange for around a year now. As I do a fair bit of business use I pay for the 400meg package and this is ample even for my needs. I often upload 2 - 300 photos at a time to an on line gallery.

Initially it was a bit hit and miss. The basic rule being "The closer to a built up areathe more likely you are to get a 'blue' (3g) signal."

Orange's customer support I have found to be woeful, but the data support techs are generally much better than the 'phone ones.

More details of my exploits on this can be found on www dot canalpages dot co dot uk and follow the link to 'going lieveaboard'

Thats not bad. We use Wi-Fi from time to time in built-up areas (near riverside pubs, hotels, etc), but the cost is about £6/hour so its a bit prohibitive.

Occasionally, riverside companies fit it in their office and forget to encrypt the signal, so just about anybody could use it for free, but we are far too honest to do that without permission :lol:

Pubs appear to be gradually fitting hot zones for their customers and of course, these can be used by boaters. Its just a shame they don't come down to a more reasonable price. I would have thought a £1 an hour would be a price that most people would be prepared to pay (like dial up pay as you go internet). It gives most people a chance to check their e-mail, catch up on here and download a few bits and pieces from websites.

if your intrestad in wireless internet its available here in nottingham city center i use it and it works for me a local company runs it basic pak costs £11.50p a month they have plans to expand to cover the whole canal system if they can get enough intrest all they have to do is install a small trnsmiter at marinas locks etc so it is pos

28442[/snapback]

have a look at.........http://www.ukcanal.com/index.html

31832[/snapback]

Glad someone has mentioned the UKcanal people as they provide loads of boats in our marina with an extremely high speed wireless system. In fact my connection speed is faster than my dads in London and is even capable of Skype telephony run alongside yahoo messenger for the camera - something I do regularly to keep in touch with others. You can see the hardware involved etc by going to www.khayamanzi.com and following the links to boating pictures and then broadband. I have unlimited up and download sizes and the system works everywhere in and around the marina. As I say, most of the boats in here run through this sytem.

BTW. You might also see some pictures of a lovely looking boat on the UKCanal pages - not that I'm connected in any way at all! :lol:

I've just come back from doing the 4 counties ring where we managed to find quite a few un-protected wifi access points using these bits of kit.

http://www.wirelesspro.co.uk/store/catalog...?products_id=36

and then running net stumbler http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

32379[/snapback]

Being quite new to computers, especially wi-fi, can you give a quick run down on how i'd set up whilst boating? thanks ray. :smiley_offtopic:

Being quite new to computers, especially wi-fi, can you give a quick run down on how i'd set up whilst boating? thanks ray. :smiley_offtopic:

32381[/snapback]

I use one of these devices http://www.my-xda.com/?ref=hpmod6img

I can get my email anywhere and send email.

I can also do a host of things i can do on my desktop pc too accept graphic editing.

I pay £8 per month the device cost £180

It will be ideal on a boat as you can use skype for pocket pc and its low powered.

Plus its small enough to put in your back pocket.

No setting up needed as its all ready to go.

If you stick a big enough memory card in it you can also use it for playing mp3's.

Totally recommend it.