Vuqube satellite mounting kit

waterdog

Featured Posts

Morning all, we have recently purchased a new (to us) narrowboat and I am slowly getting my head around all the different systems onboard, there will probably be quite a few questions / requests for advice to follow but I will start with the T.V. Probably not the most important question you might think but as new liveaboards having tv onboard is top of S.W.I.M.B.O list.

The boat has a Vuqube  satellite tv system but I can't find the roof mounting brackets for the dish (nothing fixed to roof). A search online brings up complete systems but nobody seems to have the mounting kit only. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find a mount kit.

I was thinking of using magnetic brackets as an alternative to drilling holes in the roof, would the magnets create any issues for the reception / operation of the automatic satellite finder system ?

Thanks

Give Martyn a call at Travelsat. He advertises in all the canal mags. He supplies and fits Vuqube systems. He is very helpful and I am sure he will be able to offer advice and also point you in the right direction if he can't supply one himself.

He usually has a stand at the Crick show.

https://travelsat.me.uk/

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana
Add link

1 hour ago, NB Ellisiana said:

Give Martyn a call at Travelsat. He advertises in all the canal mags. He supplies and fits Vuqube systems. He is very helpful and I am sure he will be able to offer advice and also point you in the right direction if he can't supply one himself.

He usually has a stand at the Crick show.

https://travelsat.me.uk/

Ken

Cheers Ken, the boat is at crick atm, so hopefully this will work out well.

Good luck with your sale, we had just had our offer accepted when your boat came on. She looks a lovely boat and I'm sure someone will snap her up soon.

I'd be wary of mounting it with magnets - too easy for someone to nick while you are asleep. At least make it more time consuming for them to get it away thereby maybe putting them off the effort.

Yes, good point about it being nicked, I'm going to be drilling holes to mount the solar panels so I suppose a few more for the fixed mounting won't be a problem.

According to the instructions you can have 2 digiboxes linked to 2 tv's by using the aux lnb socket on the vuqube which is great if you want a tv in different areas of the boat but can both lnb be connected to the same digibox, (humax for example), to allow recording of a channel while watching another ?

Edited by waterdog

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

as far as I remember you can't split the feed from a single LNB into two, the way to feed two twin-input boxes is to upgrade the twin LNB to a quad LNB

Sorry, I've re read my own post and it is confusing, what I meant was the instructions for the vuqube says that you can be connected to two tv's but that is not what I'm trying to achieve.

What I should have said is, can the aux lnb on the vuqube be used along with the main lnb to a single twin input digibox which will allow the recording of one channel while watching another on a single tv ?

Is the Aux LNB actually connected to twin LNBs on the Vuqube or is it there for a future upgrade? If you have a twin LNB equipped dish then just connect the 2 LNB leads to the 2 inputs on the Humax and you can record one channel whilst watching another, Make sure you buy a large recording capacity Humax  box as the recordings build up quite quickly and also that you need the dish operating for timed recordings. Sounds obvious but ........  

2 hours ago, grahame r said:

Is the Aux LNB actually connected to twin LNBs on the Vuqube or is it there for a future upgrade? If you have a twin LNB equipped dish then just connect the 2 LNB leads to the 2 inputs on the Humax and you can record one channel whilst watching another, Make sure you buy a large recording capacity Humax  box as the recordings build up quite quickly and also that you need the dish operating for timed recordings. Sounds obvious but ........  

Thanks Grahame,

I've no idea if the aux socket is connected or not, the previous owner only used the main socket and a single cable to a digibox with no recording facility, I've ordered up some cable and will connect it up to the humax when I get back to the boat at the weekend and see what happens.

• 1 year later...
53 minutes ago, Martyn Hicks said:

Hi

Did you ever get your VuCube roof fixing bracket ??

Hi Martyn, 

Yes I got the fixing bracket from you at the last Crick show :) ,

I didn't bolt it on in the end but used "sticks like sh.." instead, The sat dome is still firmly stuck down nearly 2 years on.