Smiths Canal - Llansamlet

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Its not often I set eyes on a canal I'd never seen before, still in a place I visit regularly,  in a spot I've sometimes been only 100 yards from. So this was a surprise. 

I think I'd heard of the Llansamlet Canal, other than the obvious* I'd no idea where it was. This is the canal and tunnel at White Rock. The tunnel had three side openings for coal to be unloaded, although why this was thought necessary isn't clear. Beyond that, all I know is it was 1.5 miles long and open from about 1780 to 1850.

* for those that don't know the area Llansamlet is an industrial suburb of Swansea 

20190327_150514.jpg

20190327_145055.jpg

20190327_151157.jpg

Edited by magpie patrick

Really interesting, thanks for posting.  Could you clarify, the "three side openings " were these inside the tunnel allowing coal to be loaded, directly from the workings, into boats in the tunnel? Also, the two outfalls / adits in the last photo, what was their purpose?

7 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Really interesting, thanks for posting.  Could you clarify, the "three side openings " were these inside the tunnel allowing coal to be loaded, directly from the workings, into boats in the tunnel? Also, the two outfalls / adits in the last photo, what was their purpose?

Just come out of a meeting on another project (Swansea canal in Clydach) but one of the participants knew of this canal. Apparently boats were unloaded straight into the furnace! That being the purpose of the two side openings (there is a third)

Edited by magpie patrick

Having recently moved to Llanelli this is great, will definitely be having a mooch around. Had already traced the Swansea canal where it has been buried under the new road, extreme left in the image above from Buccaneer.  Much of the canal in Swansea itself has been obliterated by years of development, the suggested plans for connecting a rerouted Swansea canal and the Neath & Tennant are interesting if a long way from any sort of action.

On 28/03/2019 at 06:10, magpie patrick said:

Its not often I set eyes on a canal I'd never seen before, still in a place I visit regularly,  in a spot I've sometimes been only 100 yards from. So this was a surprise. 

I think I'd heard of the Llansamlet Canal, other than the obvious* I'd no idea where it was. This is the canal and tunnel at White Rock. The tunnel had three side openings for coal to be unloaded, although why this was thought necessary isn't clear. Beyond that, all I know is it was 1.5 miles long and open from about 1780 to 1850.

* for those that don't know the area Llansamlet is an industrial suburb of Swansea 

20190327_150514.jpg

20190327_145055.jpg

20190327_151157.jpg

That's less than a couple of miles fro where Mrs Bob lived as a kid......in Ynysforgan, across the road from the canal, near the railway viaduct. She was a child there in the 50's and there was a canal, with water, but never remembers seeing any boats.

19 hours ago, AMModels said:

Having recently moved to Llanelli this is great, will definitely be having a mooch around. Had already traced the Swansea canal where it has been buried under the new road, extreme left in the image above from Buccaneer.  Much of the canal in Swansea itself has been obliterated by years of development, the suggested plans for connecting a rerouted Swansea canal and the Neath & Tennant are interesting if a long way from any sort of action.

Yeah, I know - it's me that wrote the submissions for the local plan! the route goes up the Fendrod (the watercourse parallel to Valley Road) - then there is enough room under the motorway and railway bridges to get a canal alongside the river. The really big ask though is a new aqueduct over the Tawe at Clydach

If you're now in Llanelli it's well worth nipping over for a look at the Smith's Canal - for the serious enthusiast it's worth travelling even further!

Edited by magpie patrick

4 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Yeah, I know - it's me that wrote the submissions for the local plan! the route goes up the Fendrod (the watercourse parallel to Valley Road) - then there is enough room under the motorway and railway bridges to get a canal alongside the river. The really big ask though is a new aqueduct over the Tawe at Clydach

If you're now in Llanelli it's well worth nipping over for a look at the Smith's Canal - for the serious enthusiast it's worth travelling even further!

Oooh good to know was looking around to try and find details of the course, Id only seen a short precis on a few blogs.

Will definitely have a wander round, am planning on finding the Kidwelly canal as well.