Reccommend a battery mechanic Northampton

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

Hi, can someone please reccommend a good battery mechanic in the Northampton area.

Basically I've thought for a while my batteries arent up to much. I'm new to boating, & when I finally figured out how to get at my batteries, they needed around 12 litres of water for 5 batteries. 3 days after doing that I got back home to my boat last night & it stank to high heaven of rotten eggs.

I have since turned off the batteries using the isolator(?)

So I guess I need new batteries, but I want someone who knows what they are doing, & who can also check that everything is as it should be before fitting new batteries.

I dont want to blow up or have a fire chemist-smiley-emoticon.gif

Have you checked the battery bank, if one has blown you need to get it out and clean up as soon as possible.

What kind of charger is linked to the bank and does it run an equalisation automatically. All may not be lost , but remember, batteries are consumables as far as boats go.

Hi, can someone please reccommend a good battery mechanic in the Northampton area.

Basically I've thought for a while my batteries arent up to much. I'm new to boating, & when I finally figured out how to get at my batteries, they needed around 12 litres of water for 5 batteries. 3 days after doing that I got back home to my boat last night & it stank to high heaven of rotten eggs.

I have since turned off the batteries using the isolator(?)

So I guess I need new batteries, but I want someone who knows what they are doing, & who can also check that everything is as it should be before fitting new batteries.

I dont want to blow up or have a fire chemist-smiley-emoticon.gif

Hi ya,

Very unpleasant for you to come back to..

I don't deny that your batteries are well & truly kaput !,& most likely need replacing after such an event

But are you POSITIVE the bad egg smell you describe came from JUST your battery box ?. Which indeed it could,but it might be worth confirming that fact.

Two things for you to check,,,,Holding tank or Cassette ?

There is a genuine reason I ask, Totally unrelated to your battery problems, & its potentially a lot more messy to clear up if left unattended,

My good friend returned to his boat after his 3month holiday abroad !. & there was truly was a very BAD EGG smell . I will let someone els more knowagable go into the chemistry of it all,but it was horrible thing to come back to,& very lucky he didn't smoke !.,I picked him up from airport,so can confirm the fact .it permeated the whole boat !.

Just thought its worth a mention. In case its a coincidence of 2 unlucky things happening at the same time..

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Sounds like the batteries - carefully check for any acid leakage and if found neutralise with bicarbonate of soda solution, clean every thing thoroughly and allow to dry.

Wear old clothes as sometime after you complete the work numerous holes will appear in clothing worn at the time of the clean up.

Renew the batteries, you should get a discount for multiple purchases.

You will find that the 'smell' has an after effect, turning any copper on the boat black.

Good luck.

L

Thanks for the replies.
When I got back yesterday there was a guy doing some maintenance on one of the other boats, so I asked him to have a look.

Turns out on 1 of the batteries the terminal had corroded & fell apart. This battery had boiled itself dry in just 3 days. After testing & a bunch of other stuff it was disconnected. He also advised on a couple of other bits n bobs, eg he didnt like the earth, & he reckoned another cable was too small for the load it was carrying. Nothing was leaking.

Good to hear it's sorted cheers.gif

It does sound like the batts are being left on charge unattended on a high power charger, it would be safer and less risky to use a lower power charge source for unattended charging.

For simple spot checks and diagnosis, consider a handheld DC clamp ammeter like a Unitrend UT203 or Mastech MS2108A, about £25 online via Ebay or £40 from Maplins, can make life a lot easier. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete