Damp (very) starter motor

Featured Posts

Due to a minor mishap with the weedhatch last weekend (I was not on board ... ) we got quite a lot of water in the engine compartment. Fortunately it is separated from the rest of the boat by a high bulkhead.

Most of the water was bailed out last weekend, and I did the rest (another three dustbins full) yesterday. The engine room floor is once again completely dry.

As far as I can deduce, most of the starter motor and the solenoid was submerged. However it started OK last weekend and still works fine - I didn't use the heaters this morning and gave it a good long crank, the engine then started. The engine has been run for 4-5 hours since the incident and so has got nice and warm.

So my question is: does anyone thinks some preventative maintenance to the starter motor would be sensible, or should I just see what happens? The engine is 20 years old, a Mitsubishi K4, and has worked flawlessly for all that time.

Many thanks

PS I replaced the ATF in the gearbox, as a) it was very milky and b ) there was too much of it (ie I suspect some water may have got in through the air vent). And I replaced the fanbelt (which had been spraying water around the engine compartment) as I always do so at this time of year.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

The brushes of the alternator and starter are susceptible to water and may swell and bind in their guide slots, -or they may not.

If the engine oil shows signs of a thick white yoghort like mess then it needs to be run hot for a few hours -which probably means a day of cruising, or the oil needs changing, then running to warm to pick out all the remaining moisture.

I once bought a Lada car for a few quid, which had stood in water for several days. The alternator was trashed, but the starter, though submerged for the duration, never gave any problems in the year I drove it.

Hopefully Sir Nibble will comment, as he is likely to have experienced this on numerous occasions.

The bearings (needle or ball) will corrode if left unattended as the lubricant will have absorbed the water.

It will be much cheaper to remove the starter motor now and have it serviced at your local automotive starter motor service company, telling them what has happened to it.

If not the final failure will be beyond repair or very costly - I have seen this on Kubota/beta Starters after this has happened.

This is probably the same sort of engine used on diggers and tractors, so you could ask your local digger hire company or agricultural engineers for help regarding a service company. Alternatively see if they have a good used spare.

I can't see how it would do any harm ? the whole point of WD is to displace water...

Well...that's what I thought...but I thought I'd ask 'why not'..in case I think about it...and then thought..that's a good idea...and then others tell me that they think it's not....as I would have thought it was.

Understand ?

A LIGHT spray with WD40 may assist the drying -remember that the propellant is flammable! A big soak in WD40 will displace any remaining lubricant on the brush slides and the shaft bearings.

Best answer get the starter and alternator to a service centre ASAP for a service -tell them that they were immersed in water.

Cheapskate answer wait and hope but accept that they will likely fail on Good Friday just to prevent you boating for the holiday.

Remember that WD40 is a great water displacer but a moderate penetrating fluid and a BAD lubricant, If you want a spray oil then Duck Oil is better -it leaves an oil film but of course contacts need cleaning.

Remember that WD40 is a great water displacer but a moderate penetrating fluid and a BAD lubricant, If you want a spray oil then Duck Oil is better -it leaves an oil film but of course contacts need cleaning.

Hmmm....penetrating....

Thanks to all for this advice - as I suspected some preventative maintenance is called for. A 20 year service interval is not too bad. The alternator was not submerged but I suspect may have got a little damp: the fan belt was definitely in the water.

PS I should have said that I replaced the oil and filter, and all three fuel filters, at the weekend.

I can't see how it would do any harm ? the whole point of WD is to displace water...

Yes it does BUT the propellant solvent will help to dissolve the insulating varnish from the motor armature windings as well. Keep WD40 well away from electric motors or alternators. Propellant is also highly flammable so let it dry out thoroughly if you have used it anywhere near sparks.

Yes it does BUT the propellant solvent will help to dissolve the insulating varnish from the motor armature windings as well. Keep WD40 well away from electric motors or alternators. Propellant is also highly flammable so let it dry out thoroughly if you have used it anywhere near sparks.

propellant solvent... the propellant on mine is my finger as I use a trigger spray gun, but even in the aerosol is either c02 or butane. the main constituent is parafin (or kerosene) and I'd be worried if parafin could dissolve the insulation on my windings... seems somewhat unlikely to me.

I do think the point about WD possibly removing any remaining lubricant in the brushes etc is a fair point, so maybe a light spray of Wd to get rid of the water and duck oil to try to provide lubrication?

I do think the point about WD possibly removing any remaining lubricant in the brushes etc is a fair point, so maybe a light spray of Wd to get rid of the water and duck oil to try to provide lubrication?

We used to use 'Duck oil' in the plant hire industry...not just to lubricate...but to make stuff 'look shiny'.

We called it..'Newness...in a can'....

The machine needs to be stripped down, thoroughly dried, carefully inspected and reassembled with new lubricant. There is no short cut. WD40 or duck oil is not something you want swilling around inside your starter unless you want a burned comm. This strip down extends throughout the unit so if you (or your repairer) are not set up to open crimped together components such as solenoid and drive then new parts will need to be fitted. Service exchange is probably the best bet.

If it was a short term dunking and you don't need super reliability and don't want to exchange it now, why not just dry it out for a good while in a low oven say... when SWMBO is out! smile.png

Always wondered with the landies with snorkel intakes that drive in up to few ft of water, do they have sealed starters or do the starters just get very wet? smile.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mysp9FeOfd8

cheers, Pete.
~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

they just get wet....

even as standard the 'wading depth' of a typical defender is quoted as something like 2ft... the first 90 I had some years ago had a 'wading plug' that you were supposed to fit to stop water getting into the cam belt housing - don't recall ever even seeing it or fitting it...

I also had a v8 engined defender and that used to wade in deep water quite happlily although once during a very ambitious wading attempt the engine cut out in a very big and deep 'puddle' and I had to resort to squirting Wd on the ht leads to get it going again...

never had any issue with starters or alternators - other bits falling off /not working but nothing to do with deep water as I recall....