Smoke Alarm Tests When Clocks Go Back

Jigsawged

Featured Posts

Passing on this advice from BSS:

When the clocks go back on 27 October the Boat Safety Scheme, on its twitter feed is backing the national Fire Kills campaign urging people to test their smoke alarms when they change the clocks on their boat. https://www.facebook.com/firekills

The BSS is asking you and your organisation to join with us on the Fire Kills campaign by utilising your social media networks, possibly in the ways outlined in the attached briefing.

We have also attached some useful graphics.

Kind regards

Graham Watts

BSS Manager

Boat Safety Scheme

First Floor North

Station House

500 Elder Gate

Milton Keynes

MK9 1BB

Ph 0333 202 1000

Mb 07711 796417

Not those on the boat no - but I am not on my boat today. The boat smoke alarm gets tested every time I cook!

The CO alarm is tested each time I visit.

I did test ours at home today though.

ETA - I have found one of our alarms at home is not working with the test I have been reminded to to today.

God forbid that we should have a fire between now and the weekend but if we had done so it would not have saved us.

So do it today people!

Edited by cheshire~rose
  • Greenie 1

You only test your smoke alarms once a year???

Hi Martin

That doesnt suprise me. Many people will get the bare minimum safety equipment they can get away with on their boat. As a for instance those tiny fire extinguishers of 1kg powder peeps normaly only buy those. I have two of those and a 4kg dry powder and a 6kg dry powder and a co2 on my boat. Its pointless risking your neck with something that will only frighten the fire, if you are going to have a go at the fire which is rarely to be recomended but if your only escape route is past the seat of the fire then id rather point 6kgs at it than 1kg. Safety equipment comes way behind polishing brass and fancy paintwork for far too many boaters. Be honest Martin have a look at your boat ...what fire extinguishers have you got smile.png

Tim

Hi Martin

That doesnt suprise me. Many people will get the bare minimum safety equipment they can get away with on their boat. As a for instance those tiny fire extinguishers of 1kg powder peeps normaly only buy those. I have two of those and a 4kg dry powder and a 6kg dry powder and a co2 on my boat. Its pointless risking your neck with something that will only frighten the fire, if you are going to have a go at the fire which is rarely to be recomended but if your only escape route is past the seat of the fire then id rather point 6kgs at it than 1kg. Safety equipment comes way behind polishing brass and fancy paintwork for far too many boaters. Be honest Martin have a look at your boat ...what fire extinguishers have you got smile.png

Tim

Being completely honest - I can't tell you.

Not on the boat at the mo but will have a look next time we are.

They are all the same size though I'm fairly sure about that.

ed -

This picture was taken by the builder when it was new and gives an idea as to the physical size of all three extinguishers. (And before anybody says it no we don't have the chairs that close to the stove, that side of the boat has been completely re-configured since that picture was taken).

MvwieL1.jpg

Edited by The Dog House