iPhone signal repeater

MtB

Featured Posts

With cold weather approaching I need to use my iPhone to make phone calls from inside the boat. I have plenty of signal outside in the cold but inside the (all porthole) boat the signal vanishes and the phone cannot be used.

Is there anything I can use to make the iPhone work for phone calls inside the boat please? I'm not concerned about data connection, internet etc. Just speaking on the phone.

Thanks,

MtB

With cold weather approaching I need to use my iPhone to make phone calls from inside the boat. I have plenty of signal outside in the cold but inside the (all porthole) boat the signal vanishes and the phone cannot be used.

Is there anything I can use to make the iPhone work for phone calls inside the boat please? I'm not concerned about data connection, internet etc. Just speaking on the phone.

Thanks,

MtB

You can get 3g signal repeaters with an external aerial - no idea if they are any good -

eBay linky

ed. -no idea why i managed to double quote you-

Edited by The Dog House

MtB - might be worth having a look at http://boatersphone.com/.

That looks promising, thanks!

But the site is so opaque I can't figure out what I actually need to order, so I've emailed them. I'll post the result...

And thanks TG too for your link. I'm reluctant to shell out on something from China or so without any confirmation from someone on here that they work!

MtB

Repeaters are the way to go I reckon and they seem to be cheaper than they were. Small domestic sized ones are available but dont appear to be universal so you would need to ensure they matched your particular network. I'm on an android phone so unable to post any links, go to 'mobile phone repeaters' in ebay or Amazon.

Repeaters are the way to go I reckon and they seem to be cheaper than they were. Small domestic sized ones are available but dont appear to be universal so you would need to ensure they matched your particular network. I'm on an android phone so unable to post any links, go to 'mobile phone repeaters' in ebay or Amazon.

smiley_offtopic.gif

To post a link on a phone touch and hold the address in the address bar on the phone browser and when you get 'copy' touch that.

In an open post on the forum touch and hold where you want the link to appear and when 'paste' appears touch that - the link should then be pasted into the open post.

This works on my iPhone and my Android tablet so should work on an Android phone too.

Thanks. Tried that now!

How do I know what will match my network? I'm using an iPhone 4 on voodoofone.

Ok maybe I need to read TDH's link but as he says, US based so different.

MtB

:smiley_offtopic:

To post a link on a phone touch and hold the address in the address bar on the phone browser and when you get 'copy' touch that.

In an open post on the forum touch and hold where you want the link to appear and when 'paste' appears touch that - the link should then be pasted into the open post.

This works on my iPhone and my Android tablet so should work on an Android phone too.

Thanks, I actually knew that but had forgotten, I was confusing it with the inability to post a picture, unless you know a way!. On the netbook/laptop there is a facility but not on my phone, even on the full version.

Thanks, I actually knew that but had forgotten, I was confusing it with the inability to post a picture, unless you know a way!. On the netbook/laptop there is a facility but not on my phone, even on the full version.

I host pictures on imgr and before that photobucket.

Both have apps. from which you can post images using links including the img code, copied and pasted in a similar way.

Thanks. Tried that now!

MtB

Find out which frequency your network operates on, vaguely recall 3UK are on 21000ish and 02

on 800ish? Double check before you buy.

Both have apps. from which you can post images using links including the img code, copied and pasted in a similar way.

Cheers I'll investigate that though I think I already have but can't remember why I didn't do it.

Memory's fading with age!

What was I saying...?

I have the Photobucket app and can post a link to a picture but can't post one direct, I have to fire up the laptop for that facility.

I have the Photobucket app and can post a link to a picture but can't post one direct, I have to fire up the laptop for that facility.

if you select a picture in Photobucket you can select 'share' and one of the options is the link including the image code. I cant remember exactly how as I no longer use it preferring the Imgr app. these days.

It defo. can be done though.

Thanks,

MtB

Would a good cold weather coat do the trick?

if you select a picture in Photobucket you can select 'share' and one of the options is the link including the image code. I cant remember exactly how as I no longer use it preferring the Imgr app. these days.

It defo. can be done though.

I reckon it can be done on the ipad but not on a phone.

Thanks. Tried that now!

MtB

I've been looking into mobile signal boosters too. As I understand it a phone's SIM looks for its appropriate network code and uses the corresponding frequencies as/when available (so, for me on O2 that's 900 and/or 1800 for 2G, and 2100 MHz for 3G, I don't have to worry about 4G where I am).

So far the following links have been helpful;

http://www.o2signalbooster.com/ (good FAQ page and their products look very useful, and they're not just for O2 as it tells you what network each product covers).

http://www.isignalbooster.co.uk/ (ditto).

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/topics/pmc/document/licencetypes/cellularinfo.htm (scroll down to section 4 of this page for the specifics of the 2G and 3G frequencies).

http://www.prattfamily.demon.co.uk/mikep/frequency.htm (a good breakdown of the allocation of the frequencies amongst the service providers).

I'm on O2, and found their coverage map and FAQs useful as well. I'm guessing Vodafone will have something similar.

Edited by Graham!

If it's just the odd call how about getting a cheap phone and a good PAYG sim deal from another network?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thanks for the suggestion but which networks will work inside a steel boat with just a few portholes?!

My problem is the signal is fine outside, I want to use the phone inside the boat!

MtB

Sent you a message Mike

Ah ok, so you have. Thanks!

MtB

Thanks for the suggestion but which networks will work inside a steel boat with just a few portholes?!

My problem is the signal is fine outside, I want to use the phone inside the boat!

MtB

Ah ok, so you have. Thanks!

MtB

Care to share - some of us might find it useful too...

<I have the same problem at my home mooring>

No idea if they're referring to the same kind of repeaters linked to above but this page on the ofcom website suggests they're illegal:

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/11/mobile-repeaters/

Another possible solution is to ditch the iphone and go for a phone which has an external antenna port. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 as my boat wifi phone and it works a treat with a magnetic external aerial on my roof with the cable coming down through a mushroom vent.

I bought a patch lead from http://telcoantennas.com.au (the only people who seem to sell them) and looking at their website there are similar (non passive) patch leads that I guess also plug into external antenna sockets for some LG, Motorolla, Samsung and Sony phones. I can't vouch for the passive patch leads though, I've heard that they don't do much if anything.

ETA: Just checked out that boatersphone website and they sell very similar looking patch leads to the one that I bought (and they probably work out to about the same price once shipping from Australia is factored in).

ETA 2: You should be able to pick up a second hand Galaxy S2 pretty cheaply now

Edited by Jambo