Ecosheet

Moley

Featured Posts

Has anybody on the forum used Ecosheet? A search brought up nothing.

It's stated as an alternative to plywood but it's a plastic material, 100% recycled and 100% waterproof. It's also available from my local timber merchant.

I'm thinking of using it for a new cruiser stern deck, and possibly for new front and back doors.

Price comparison:(8ft x 4ft x 18mm)

Hardwood ply, £45.24

Phenolic ply, £67.50

Ecosheet, £58.68

There's a data sheet (pdf file) here:

www.ecosheet.com/files/8513/6681/5676/Ecosheet_Specification_Sheet_v5.pdf

Edited by Moley
  • Greenie 1

I read up on this stuff some time ago, sounds the business as far as I'm concerned, as a stern deck it would be perfect. Following cutting edges do not need any kind of sealing, neither does the board it's self, just those 2 pluses alone make it cheaper and easier than equivellent ply. It's also a bit lighter and stronger, it will certainly outlast any plywood.

Lots of other advantages too, I found this seller a couple of weeks ago. It's a shame I'm at the end of fitting out, I would have found loads of uses for this stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECOSHEET-THE-ALTERNATIVE-TO-PLYWOOD-MADE-FROM-100-RECYCLED-PLASTICS-NEW-/270838006567?pt=UK_BOI_Building_Materials_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&hash=item3f0f340327

It's been a long time since I did any elasticity, however, from this: http://www.worldpanel.com/plywoodcomparison.htm

it looks like 18mm Ecosheet has a flexural modulus of 700 Mpa, and 18mm plywood a flexural modulus of 4800 Mpa

Now, there's a good chance I am misreading this, or getting my moduli or units mixed up. If I'm right, the Ecosheet is a lot bendier than the plywood - which is exactly what I would expect

Is there a stress analyst in the house?

Richard

It's been a long time since I did any elasticity, however, from this: http://www.worldpanel.com/plywoodcomparison.htm

it looks like 18mm Ecosheet has a flexural modulus of 700 Mpa, and 18mm plywood a flexural modulus of 4800 Mpa

Now, there's a good chance I am misreading this, or getting my moduli or units mixed up. If I'm right, the Ecosheet is a lot bendier than the plywood - which is exactly what I would expect

Is there a stress analyst in the house?

Richard

Not an analyst of any kind let alone stress laugh.png

However from my experience with Stokbord I would think deck boards would need some form of stiffening underneath the boards or be in smallish panels with supports at the edges.

On a cruiser w/beam boats deck engine cover an Eco plastic cover might be handy if your short in stature as you could bounce up and down on it like a trampoline in order to peer over the huge nissan hut roof to see where your going. More energetic than standing on a box and should keep you nice and fit.

I've been working on a w/beams boats engine all day today which has the most horrid great 6mm plate deck engine cover, had horrible struggles with it nearly chopping off fingers and toes.

Thanks folks, I don't even begin to understand "flexural modulus" but that was my only slight concern with the product, it does seem to be a bit "more pliable than plywood".

However, I have previously used phenolic ply for deck boards and although I initially treated the cut edges I didn't keep up any regular re-treatment, and when the water started getting in to the boards they deteriorated and needed replacing after about 5 years. The 'temporary' replacement was cut from 18mm OSB board which now soaks up water like a sponge and looks absolutely dreadful. It does get hidden under an interlocking neoprene material on the rare occasion when we're actually using the boat but that's impractical as it has to be unzipped and folded back when you need to get to the stern gland greaser or weed hatch.

I'm going to give this stuff a try, my largest panel will be 740 x 1210mm and I can easily fit a couple of cross braces.

Oh, and thanks for the greenie.

Definitely brace it carefully. If you don't it will sag dreadfully under its own weight alone on significant spans.

Even 18mm ply sags a bit under load, and this stuff apparently has a fraction of the stiffness of ply. If it isn't well braced it will deflect badly when stood on. There's also a risk of water ponding on it if it sags under its own weight.

Obviously the need for bracing will depend upon how far it's spanning between supports.

Otherwise it sounds great for outside applications in particular.