Connecting plastic pipes to copper

Featured Posts

What kind of pipe are you connecting with a hose clip? I am not a plumber, but the plastic pipes I have joined to copper have a compression fitting and a reinforcing sleeve inside the plastic pipe. Perhaps there are different types?

Hi all,

Sure this is something everyone knows but me... I have replaced the kitchen sink, but when reconnecting the water pipes to the copper pipes using a hose clip, it still leaks when the pump is switched on. angry.png Can anyone please tell me how to seal this properly?

Thanks, Steve.

You are probably using a worm drive clip that is not the right size for the hose and scrimping it up. If the copper tube has no proper serrated nozzle end get a compression fitting, any fitting will do, elbow, straight coupling ect for whatever size copper pipe (15mm) probably and pop the fitting on the pipe with a new olive, tighten the fitting up to squeeze and secure the olive to the pipe, undo nut and remove the fitting. This will leave the olive behind to act as a nozzle which you push the hose over and secure with a hose clip behind it. The fittings nut which is now trapped can be either slid up out of the way and left or sawn off.

Hi all,

Sure this is something everyone knows but me... I have replaced the kitchen sink, but when reconnecting the water pipes to the copper pipes using a hose clip, it still leaks when the pump is switched on. angry.png Can anyone please tell me how to seal this properly?

Thanks, Steve.

What sort of plastic pipe are we talking about - rigid plastic or flexible hose? I guess if you're talking about using hose clips it must be hose?

But if it's rigid plastic pipe you can connect it to the copper pipe with any plastic push-fit straight coupling of the correct diameter (Speedfit, Hep2O, etc.)

Just remember that you will have to put a ferrule insert into the plastic pipe before connecting it to the fitting.

Edited by blackrose

Hep2o works both ways - you can use a Hep2o fitting on plain copper pipe (but make sure the end of the pipe is cut square and is burr free, a wheel cutter works well), and you can put Hep2o pipe (with the inner sleeve) into a conventional compression fitting. Both have worked for me in the past. The same may be true of other plastic systems.

If putting a braided PVC hose onto plain copper pipe it can be liable to fly off under pressure at some point.

Much better to solder an olive or coil of copper wire to end of the pipe, and put the hose clip the other side of that.

That aside, tightening up the clip some more can help stop it leaking smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Hi all,

Thanks, Steve.

Soft solder on a compression fitting olive about 3/8" back from the end of the copper pipe. This will acts as a hose barb to the plastic pipe.

Tighten hose clip around fat bit after sliding on plastic pipe - job done.

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably using a worm drive clip that is not the right size for the hose and scrimping it up. If the copper tube has no proper serrated nozzle end get a compression fitting, any fitting will do, elbow, straight coupling ect for whatever size copper pipe (15mm) probably and pop the fitting on the pipe with a new olive, tighten the fitting up to squeeze and secure the olive to the pipe, undo nut and remove the fitting. This will leave the olive behind to act as a nozzle which you push the hose over and secure with a hose clip behind it. The fittings nut which is now trapped can be either slid up out of the way and left or sawn off.

Thank you everyone for your help! I took your knowledge to the plumber merchants and got the parts, It took a few tries to get ity all together...but it works, a happy man, thanks again biggrin.png