12V laptop adapters - which is best?

Top cat

Featured Posts

We have worked out the required spec for a 12V adapter for our particular laptop on the boat. The one bought last year seemed fine but has now died. The spec is right, it seems to be a quality issue.

What 12V adapter would last longer? Put up with the variable 11-15V input typical of boat electrics? Not get hot if used to charge and power at the same time? And that the supplier won't say 'you're not using it in a car, not our problem!' if there is a problem?

Or should I assume they are all disposable and I'll need a new one every year? :-(

You may have worked out what spec you require, but you haven't actually told us.

It's hard for anyone to suggest what might work for you, if we don't know the voltage, power consumption and plug type for your particular laptop.

If you can find one to match your machine some of the Maplin ones seem OK. (They are usually Nikkai ones, I think). A while back they were knocking out the 120 watt one at just £2.99 mail order - no idea why, but at that price you can treat them as disposable items!

I have not had any unit pack up, or get too hot, but I have had issues with the integrity of the cables on the low voltage side on a "non Maplin" one, where the way they are dealt with leaving the adaptor was not very resilient. I solved it crudely with soldering iron and insulating tape, but the fix is not perfect.

Edited by alan_fincher

They are all made in China so take your choice. Most offer a range of adapter plugs and output voltages so a wide range of laptops are covered.

For longevity I would buy one that is well overrated for the power requirements of your laptop. This will ensure it doesn't get hot.

Presently using a 120 watt one bought five years ago to power my 90 watt Acer.

• Greenie 1

I use the Nikkai A33HU, variable voltages between 15v ans 24v, I use the 19v position. 6amp 150w max from Maplins. Came complete with fag lighter plug and 8 assorted dc input plugs. £30 or thereabouts a couple of years ago. Solid well made and only gets a little warm. Its powering this post at the mo. Well pleased with it.

You're lucky to have a choice. I had so much trouble getting one for my Asus Eee that I was grateful to get one that fitted at any reasonable price after trawling through Ebay. ( I sent the Maplins universal set back- none of them fitted). Yes it does get warm, but switches itself off if it does, and has lasted 3 years so far. Cross fingers.

Trust seem to do reasonably decent stuff, maybe try one of theirs, 120W should be plenty:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Compact-Notebook-Adapter-PW-3120/dp/B001D3124G

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/6317330/777639672/Trust-Compact-PW-3120-Notebook-Power-Adapter/ListingDetails.html

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Thanks all for your comments (sorry, we've been out of Internet contact for a few days).

Sounds like Nikkai has a good track record, I'll look at Trust too. I was looking for exactly that sort of generic 'this make has done well for me' kind of feedback rather than 'buy this specific model' - thanks for those pointers. The variable voltage sort is what we had, but the suggestion of over-rating (120W or 150W) sounds like the way to go, as our 90W is what hasn't lasted even though it was exactly the spec recommended in the manual.

And if the one adaptor can do more than my current laptop (Lenovo G770) that will help it be useful for longer.

Thanks all!

Thanks all for your comments (sorry, we've been out of Internet contact for a few days).

Sounds like Nikkai has a good track record, I'll look at Trust too. I was looking for exactly that sort of generic 'this make has done well for me' kind of feedback rather than 'buy this specific model' - thanks for those pointers. The variable voltage sort is what we had, but the suggestion of over-rating (120W or 150W) sounds like the way to go, as our 90W is what hasn't lasted even though it was exactly the spec recommended in the manual.

And if the one adaptor can do more than my current laptop (Lenovo G770) that will help it be useful for longer.

You could explore the DC to DC convertor route! Its a device that stabilizes the 12v and regulates it at 12v irrespective of the main boat 12v being up to 14.5v. All you need to do is to get the right size plug for the lap top (Which you could obtain from an old expired charger). This route would save you having to have the invertor on when you are out and about just to power a laptop.

Hope this helps??

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks all!