BSP to hose fittings

IdealStandard

Featured Posts

I am trying to finish off plumbing in a mini CH system, but some of the junctions just don't want to play ball! The main problem is that alot of the plumbing is in the engine bay and I have therefore used 1/2" thermal hose. Plumbers obviously don't like messing around with hoses and there are no fittings to be found!

One of the fittings I am having trouble with is a 3/4" male bsp to 1/2" hose. Is there a direct converter, or am I going to end up with some convoluted mish mash?

The next is a 1" bsp male which I also want to get down to 1/2" hose, which is even more awkward.

My current thinking is that it might be easier to take the 1" bsp down to a 15mm copper and jubilee clip a hose straight on.

If anyone could recommend anything it would be appreciated.

Tim

One of the fittings I am having trouble with is a 3/4" male bsp to 1/2" hose. Is there a direct converter, or am I going to end up with some convoluted mish mash?

Why not try Google.

I found this at my first attempt, and there look to be plenty of other options.....

The next is a 1" bsp male which I also want to get down to 1/2" hose, which is even more awkward.

My current thinking is that it might be easier to take the 1" bsp down to a 15mm copper and jubilee clip a hose straight on.

Customers who bought this also bought this

I won't even ask why on earth you are getting involved in something like 1" BSP for boat plumbing, though!

Just to clarify, the fitting is 3/4" bsp male, so I need a 3/4" female.

I can see that now, but in original post I'd say it's not entirely obvious!

Maybe reduce 3/4" BSP to 1/2" BSP with something like this, then use this

Edited by alan_fincher

You can get from almost anything to anything with these:

42593.jpg

56169.jpg

28121.jpg

74685.jpg

Screwfix and Toolstation do them, BES do a great range; well worth getting a paper copy of the BES catalogue.

15mm compression fittings almost always use a 1/2" BSP thread which opens up some possibilities. Also a tube of Fernox LS-X leak sealer can be very handy. :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Ok, related question. I've just spent an entertaining hour underneath someone's sink who has a fine collection of speedfit elbows to get the water to go around corners to get to and from the water pump.

It occurred to me it would be easier to replace a lot of those elbows with a hose tail and some flexible hose. why is this not done?

Just a tip - if wanting to attach rubber hose with clamp to copper pipe, solder a compression fitting olive of same size close to the end of the copper pipe to act as a barb. Push rubber hose over olive and fix with hose clamp after the olive.

You won't be forever re-tightenting the hose clips to stop weeping then.

Or try Ebay, here's a 1" BPST male to 1/2" hose tail for £5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170975041317

Just needs a 1" brass socket to go onto the header tank, something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230777362926

It occurred to me it would be easier to replace a lot of those elbows with a hose tail and some flexible hose. why is this not done?

Better still use a tap flexible or two...

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Or try Ebay, here's a 1" BPST male to 1/2" hose tail for £5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170975041317

Just needs a 1" brass socket to go onto the header tank, something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230777362926

Better still use a tap flexible or two...

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Just the ticket. Thanks.