Radar Key

Gazboatman

Featured Posts

Do these keys open the locks that have been locked up at night and in the winter?

Where locks have been locked up at night this is usually carried out with padlocks that can only be opened by the canal authority.

You may be thinking of situations where certain locks have secured against unauthorised use, these can be opened by boaters using either anti vandal (Handcuff) or 'Watermate' keys which are readily available from chandlers. The watermate keys is a Yale type key, the anti-vandal keys are less sophisticated, an example:

http://www.pufferparts.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=146

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

There is no restriction on the issue of Radar keys by locksmiths, key cutters, local authorities or other suppliers. The key is a basic 5 gauge blank for a 5 lever non BS, non curtained mortise lock. The lock made for the Radar project is made by Wellington but any 5 gauge lever rim or lever mortise blanks or indeed the original 5 lever Wellington blank, will cut a Radar key. Any key cutter will have several pre-cut in stock.

Discretion in issue of these keys lies with the cutter before supply to the end user. If I was approached by an able bodied, baseball cap wearing yuff, accompanied with his ageing granny, I would probably sell him a Radar key. However if this same yuff was accompanied his mucker, wheeling a mini moto, sayin' it was for his ageing granny and not for opening the anti-motorcycle gate on the towpath, I may not. It's up to me.

All of these blanks are non restricted, unlike the BW 'Watermate' key that has a restricted and is classified a security keyway, the YN series keyway I think(probably the YN-CD in the Davonport-Burgess catalogue).

However this restricted keyway is available from blank manufacturers without restriction (although security procedures apply) but the security procedures apply only to the cutter before issue to the end user. There are other cylinder keys ie the BY and JW Yale keys that are restricted and classified high security and are only available from the manufacturer against written authority from the owner or the production of a owners card.

I just love being boring.

There is no restriction on the issue of Radar keys by locksmiths, key cutters, local authorities or other suppliers. The key is a basic 5 gauge blank for a 5 lever non BS, non curtained mortise lock. The lock made for the Radar project is made by Wellington but any 5 gauge lever rim or lever mortise blanks or indeed the original 5 lever Wellington blank, will cut a Radar key. Any key cutter will have several pre-cut in stock.

Discretion in issue of these keys lies with the cutter before supply to the end user. If I was approached by an able bodied, baseball cap wearing yuff, accompanied with his ageing granny, I would probably sell him a Radar key. However if this same yuff was accompanied his mucker, wheeling a mini moto, sayin' it was for his ageing granny and not for opening the anti-motorcycle gate on the towpath, I may not. It's up to me.

All of these blanks are non restricted, unlike the BW 'Watermate' key that has a restricted and is classified a security keyway, the YN series keyway I think(probably the YN-CD in the Davonport-Burgess catalogue).

However this restricted keyway is available from blank manufacturers without restriction (although security procedures apply) but the security procedures apply only to the cutter before issue to the end user. There are other cylinder keys ie the BY and JW Yale keys that are restricted and classified high security and are only available from the manufacturer against written authority from the owner or the production of a owners card.

I just love being boring.

Interesting - thank you

But I thought you'd be more involved with milling, than boring?