Skip to content

Water Chariots Olympic trip boats drop fare to £20

Featured Replies

Just wondering if anyone has heard / seen anything about their bookings, busy or quiet ?

I was down in London the other day and did pop along to Limehouse basin. Few if anybody was on the

boats apart from the crew. At the prices being charge who would. The boarding point was in the wrong

place, It should be over by Limehouse station.

 

Firesprite

  • Author

I was down in London the other day and did pop along to Limehouse basin. Few if anybody was on the

boats apart from the crew. At the prices being charge who would. The boarding point was in the wrong

place, It should be over by Limehouse station.

 

Firesprite

 

Thanks for that info.....looks like the Company is not going to be as prosperous as they initially thought.

 

Anyone have any idea how much they spent on purchasing the Boats etc ?

My friend lives opposite the landing stage in Tottenham. Last time I asked her she said, 'no passengers.' We didnt even see any boats until Monday.

The landing stage was built with £200k of council money that had originally been allocated to build a new canoe centre and cafe at Stonebridge Lock. Public money used for private business. No planning permission no consultation. The old centre is to be demolished as it has asbestos in it.

We are so angry about this in Tottenham. The canoe centre was so popular with locals that at passover it would be solidly booked out for weeks. It broke my heart to see the locals out at passover this spring, coming here to find it all boarded up.

I was told by a councillor, 'think of the legacy,' when we were telling her how furious we were. Instead of a lovely new centre we are getting a ramp and a patch of grass.

 

As for the trip boats - the price of a ticket is more than what most locals spend on a weekly grocery shop. We all knew this would happen but no one would listen. There isnt a need for the service.

At least the canoeing was affordable. So angry. Just when British canoeing and rowing is winning gold medals we get this slap in the face from Haringey. Plus BW arent innocent either. The money and plans were there for years but no one did anything and that's what allowed this to happen.

Edited by Lady Muck

Are we talking about the boats that Colecraft were commissioned to build...??

The chariots had help with funding and some will be going back to colecraft.

Yes.

 

Thought so - so yet another waste of money (aside from spending some of our cash with a well respected UK boat builder) and while people 'fawn' over the Olympics they still lose track of how much this is costing or has been funded by inappropriate sponsorship.

 

I feel sorry for the athletes...

Shame you feel sorry for the athletes , I am sure they will appreciate your concern but the seem to be doing rather well at the moment.

Some things have been brilliant. The white water rafting centre upriver - solidly booked out, all the time. What a facility. But we want our little canoe hire centre back, please. We don't need trip boats. The Lower Lee is not Windsor.

Not even for the Olympics, an overground train from here to the Olympic park in Stratford takes 10 mins and costs a couple of quid. The boats - maybe 40 mins? £45

It hasnt helped of course that the hotel and riverside pubs and restaurants planned for here to be ready by this year were never built due to the credit crunch, we're not really a hot destination!

Edited by Lady Muck

Some things have been brilliant. The white water rafting centre upriver - solidly booked out, all the time. What a facility. But we want our little canoe hire centre back, please. We don't need trip boats. The Lower Lee is not Windsor.

 

 

I can't see them staying , I hope you get the canoe centre back

Presumably Limehouse is making a few quid out of moorings 20 odd trip boats for the duration. Hopefully LB will make something of Stonebridge.

Shame you feel sorry for the athletes , I am sure they will appreciate your concern but the seem to be doing rather well at the moment.

 

I'm afraid I wouldn't know - good luck to them, but I am not remotely interested in it all, any of it.

  • Author

Abysmally - they haven't paid their crew either

 

Really ?....anymore info on this ?

 

Just checked their website and the trip has now gone down to £20 :o

  • Author

Had to give this one a new topic start of it's own.

 

Well, well, well.

 

Not looking too good is it ?

 

http://www.water-chariots.co.uk/

Edited by Kessy

In this new topic are we all supposed to jump with delight because things do not seem to be going to well? Are we going to have a new thread for every company in the UK that is struggling? What is your point?

I think the point is that others on here had mentioned/commented on the water chariots excessive fares and wondered how it was going. It is relevant as it involves the canal and the Olympics (things that seem to interest people on CWDF.

I think the point is that others on here had mentioned/commented on the water chariots excessive fares and wondered how it was going. It is relevant as it involves the canal and the Olympics (things that seem to interest people on CWDF.

 

Have not followed the other threads, ok makes sense now.

What has the price dropped from? Have they not been busy then?

 

Ian.

Too little too late me thinks.

the chariots are parked just south of where I am. I've been by 3 times in the last 5 days and not seen any lines or even passengers. I dont know if I've been unlucky in my timings or if they are infact not being used. They WERE rather expensive to my mind though!

Edited by Miracle

What has the price dropped from? Have they not been busy then?

 

Ian.

 

It was £85, Even will the drop in price to £20 there will not be many takers. Take a look at the long route

back to the quay, It must be well over a mile. At Limehouse it's a good 3/4 mile from the station

 

entrance exit route

 

Firesprite

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.