Our first outing on Longford

Irene

Featured Posts

What a weekend!went out with our boat for the first time had a lovely voyage up but when we made the return journey,we had run out of water and there was no hose on the boat so could not fill up,then all the steam was pouring out from the engine,a hose had come off and water poured onto the engine,went looking for a phone box(our mobile was out of battery)after walking about 3 miles we found a phone box but it had been vandalised found a pub they had no phone,so had a meal it was so bad had to send it back for a refund,found a workman behind the pub and scrounged a screw driver and a jubilee clip!went back to the boat and reattatched the hose,and we actually got going made a steady trip back to Sale our base,spent all next day bailing out the water,bought a hose and went to fill up got to the tap and the engine would not start,we now have to get a new starter button and repair that.We have learnt a lot on our first trip!! :lol:

What a weekend!went out with our boat for the first time had a lovely voyage up but when we made the return journey,we had run out of water and there was no hose on the boat so could not fill up,then all the steam was pouring out from the engine,a hose had come off and water poured onto the engine,went looking for a phone box(our mobile was out of battery)after walking about 3 miles we found a phone box but it had been vandalised found a pub they had no phone,so had a meal it was so bad had to send it back for a refund,found a workman behind the pub and scrounged a screw driver and a jubilee clip!went back to the boat and reattatched the hose,and we actually got going made a steady trip back to Sale our base,spent all next day bailing out the water,bought a hose and went to fill up got to the tap and the engine would not start,we now have to get a new starter button and repair that.We have learnt a lot on our first trip!! :lol:

Well, welcome to the wacky world of boating!

Goodness! What an eventful first trip out! Hope you check all the other essentials are on board with you before your second trip, now that a hose is ticked off the list!

I'm sure all your future journeys will be a bit more relaxing than that one. If the pub was near the vandalsied phonebox it sounds like an ideal village to avoid!

Welcome to Boating...

Sorry to hear you had a bad time of it, baptism of fire???

When I phoned to ask mum how they'd got on on their first trip she was giggling all the time she recounted the story! It may have been a baptism of fire but I think they actually enjoyed the adventure!

Definitely boaty material :lol:

Please tell me you are not operating Longford as a hotel boat, or it might cost you a fortune in customer refunds! :lol:

Longford actually used to be a chauffered day boat operating on the Llangollen...

When I first bought the boat there was a few of the old welcome/information packs telling people about the canal and that drinking wasn't permitted on the boat apart from a courtesty glass of Cider that they would be given!

Unfortunately they went on the bonfire, with the rotten floor, walls, roof... etc.

When I phoned to ask mum how they'd got on on their first trip she was giggling all the time she recounted the story! It may have been a baptism of fire but I think they actually enjoyed the adventure!

Definitely boaty material :lol:

That's the spirit, made me smile anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

It's like one of those dreams where things keep going wrong

glad you could laugh about it