VacuFlush Cassette Toilets

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Someone the other day asked about vacuum flushing toilets that go to a remote removeable cassette, rather than a pump-out holding tank. I don't think anyone responded ?

An example is made by Dometic Sealand.

Here's a link to the pump / cassette end of things.

Link to Information About VacuFlush Cassette Option

The system looks fairly pricey, compared to other cassette based arrangements, but would solve my location problems. The only corner the loo can be in isn't against a bulkhead with access on the other side - so I can't use the Thetford variety.

I guess my concern is that if the holding tank only holds 14 litres, and 0.4 litres of fresh water is used for each flush, then to me, that sounds like you would fill the tank if just flushed 35 times (and not used!), so clearly would give a lot less than 35 actual usings.

That sounds like fairly frequent emptying to me, unless I've missed something.

Has anyone got one of these things, (specifically using a cassette), and what's your experience of them, please ?

Someone the other day asked about vacuum flushing toilets that go to a remote removeable cassette, rather than a pump-out holding tank. I don't think anyone responded ?

An example is made by Dometic Sealand.

Here's a link to the pump / cassette end of things.

Link to Information About VacuFlush Cassette Option

The system looks fairly pricey, compared to other cassette based arrangements, but would solve my location problems. The only corner the loo can be in isn't against a bulkhead with access on the other side - so I can't use the Thetford variety.

I guess my concern is that if the holding tank only holds 14 litres, and 0.4 litres of fresh water is used for each flush, then to me, that sounds like you would fill the tank if just flushed 35 times (and not used!), so clearly would give a lot less than 35 actual usings.

That sounds like fairly frequent emptying to me, unless I've missed something.

Has anyone got one of these things, (specifically using a cassette), and what's your experience of them, please ?

In a couple of weeks I will probably be in a position to comment on this.

Thanks Gary,

I'm not planning to do anything immediately, so info within the next few weeks would still be equally useful.

We've a simple porta-potti style thing at the moment, (well a Sanniepottie actually), and something a bit more sociable for the family would be nice.

Adding a pump-out tank to our boat is not really an option, so I'm looking for some middle course.

I have also breifly looked at remote cassete vaccum systems.

- We currently have a porta-potti, bu in the future i plan to refitt the whole bathroom, and would be looking at using some from of cassete based system.

And replacing the unstisfactory over-bath-shower with a builtin shower cubical, and the huge cupboard and countertop sink with a much smaller cupboard and a more compact semi-countertop sink.

Daniel

• 1 month later...

Gary,

A bit more than a couple of weeks, but do you know anything more about these loos yet, please ?

Anyone else got one at all, please ?

Gary,

A bit more than a couple of weeks, but do you know anything more about these loos yet, please ?

Anyone else got one at all, please ?

Yes we fitted it, very high quality and very American built like the proverbial door.

Details HERE PDF

AND HERE

On the downside it's very electronic and quite complicated to fit plus the cassette is only about the same size compared to a Thetford cassette and will probably fill quicker.

The bottom line is that it is the most expensive option available, on a refit or modification to a boat without an holding tank it would be probably worth while if the fit out justified it.

However I still prefer a Macerator toilet and tank on a new build if you have 230V available this is the easiest solution. (Less cabling costs plus they tend to be less problematic)

The best ones on the market are Tecma you can find the full range and details HERE PRODUCT OVERVIEW > BOAT TOILETS

A trade tip for those going to France in the future is that these same toilets are available in 230v versions in French DIY shops under a different label at very good prices. (Apparently the French prefer these units for domestic use to the SANIFLO units popular in the UK.)

AND HERE

I thought the object of a vacuum toilet was that you could put the holding tank anyware you wanted a fair way away from the toilet, so what is the point in having one that sits under the bowl, you might as well have a £40 cassett type

Two types Richard, REMOTE HOLDING TANK & REMOTE CASSETTE UNIT distance to tank isn't usually a problem with macerators it's bends and constrictions in the plumbing that causes the need for the rubber gloves!

The other thing I didn't mention is that you get double the noise Toilet and Vacuum unit.

On the downside it's very electronic and quite complicated to fit plus the cassette is only about the same size compared to a Thetford cassette and will probably fill quicker.

Thanks Gary....

I still think that if they use 0.4 litres of water on each flush, with only a 14 litre tank, then you'll get no more than 35 flushes, even before you put anything down there other than the flushing water.....

Clearly with a porta-potty you don't need anything like 0.4 litres for every use of the toilet, (I'll not go into more detail than that!...)

So I'm still thinking that with a family on board, and frequent trips for "wee-wee" this doesn't sound practical with just the removeable cassette.

I note from the blurb that toilet contents are whisked through the pipes at 2 metres per second - I hope to god the pipes are opaque, because I certainly wouldn't want to see that happening :)

I have one of these fitted, I will try to give you a taster of what the vacuum cassette is like in the real world ( not the world that the company who market them live in).

Good points

Can be sited upto 20 feet away from toilet bowl, ours is in the bottom section of the wardrobe

No smells coming back through bowl, like you get with a Thetford

Automatically shuts down when cassette is full

Bad points

It has several ' O ' rings of various sizes, these break on a regular basis, and some are tricky to replace especially the 2 fitted on the non return valve on the actual cassette.

The system blocks up often, it likes the tissue paper to have had a good soak in the water first, tricky as there is not a lot of water in the bowl to start with. Kids forget this, I can assure you

The filter on the base unit needs changing every 3 months, these cost around £40 from Lee Sanitation, Dometic say it should last 3 years, WHO ARE THEY KIDDING

We live on board with 2 small children and the cassette fills up every 24 hours, you will need a spare cassette cost £90

We were advised by Lee Sanitation it would be ideal for liveaboards at the London Boat show 2004, so we bought one for our new boat, they now say it is no good for liveaboards it is only really any good for ocassional use because the ' O ' rings could break if used frequently, ( I now know this after replacing what must be the 50th or so ' O ' ring this weekend )

Thats just some of the good and bad points, let me just say I love the system when its working ok, its excellent, but when it goes wrong which it does quite a lot, then I could launch it into the marina.

Hope this helps.

John

It has several ' O ' rings of various sizes, these break on a regular basis, and some are tricky to replace especially the 2 fitted on the non return valve on the actual cassette.

The system blocks up often, it likes the tissue paper to have had a good soak in the water first, tricky as there is not a lot of water in the bowl to start with. Kids forget this, I can assure you

The filter on the base unit needs changing every 3 months, these cost around £40 from Lee Sanitation, Dometic say it should last 3 years, WHO ARE THEY KIDDING

We live on board with 2 small children and the cassette fills up every 24 hours, you will need a spare cassette cost £90

We were advised by Lee Sanitation it would be ideal for liveaboards at the London Boat show 2004, so we bought one for our new boat, they now say it is no good for liveaboards it is only really any good for ocassional use because the ' O ' rings could break if used frequently, ( I now know this after replacing what must be the 50th or so ' O ' ring this weekend )

John,

Thanks for sending such a detailed response.....

I'm suitably put off I think, particularly as these things are damned expensive as well.

It sounded like a possible solution to our very cramped bathroom, with no space suitable for the Thetford cassette system.

But, even without the breakdowns, needing to empty daily doesn't sound like what I'm after.

With the breakdowns, I don't like the sound of it at all, particularly as the "gubbins" would have had to go under our bed. :)

Sorry if I have put you off but that is the reality of the equipment, better to find out off someone like me who has had there fingers burnt, than to put your own hand into the fire. Best of luck anyway

John

No, please don't apologise!

That's the value of the forum - I only wish you could have had some feedback from someone about the practical difficulties before getting lumbered with one!

The Porta-Pottie is sounding less of a bad option at the moment - not very pleasant, but not much to go wrong with them!....

I bought one of these Vacuflush toilets but haven't got around to fitting it yet. I actually intended to vent the cassette outside the boat through a hose & skin fiting, instread of using the filter. I asked Lee sanitation about this and they said that was fine. I didn't know about the o ring problems - can you use any o rings of the right size or do you have to get these spares from Lee?

PS) Personally I don't know of any system that copes with toilet paper & I would never put paper into a toilet on a boat. Could this be why you are going through all those O rings? My Vacuflush came with a sticker: PLEASE DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THIS TOILET UNLESS YOU HAVE EATEN IT!

When I bought my boat it was fitted with a brand new sea toilet and holding tank. I have since ripped out the whole sorry smelly unreliable mess and replaced it with a porta potti. And I wish I had done this earlier before spending time and money trying to get the damn thing to work and stop stinking.

PS) Personally I don't know of any system that copes with toilet paper & I would never put paper into a toilet on a boat. Could this be why you are going through all those O rings? My Vacuflush came with a sticker: PLEASE DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THIS TOILET UNLESS YOU HAVE EATEN IT!

Just to clarify, you put used toilet paper in a pedal bin? :P

I couldnt cope with that at all, no sir. :P

I bet that is very smelly each time the bin is accessed eh?

Just to clarify, you put used toilet paper in a pedal bin? :P

I couldnt cope with that at all, no sir. :P

I bet that is very smelly each time the bin is accessed eh?

Just to lower the discussion, it would depend on the curry the night before. :P

Is it April the 1st? or did you buy it on April the 1st?

I have a small pedal bin next to the toilet which I line with plastic bags from the supermarket.

You are having a larf, aren't you ?!?

I don't think I'd want to be your dustman !!!

I can't believe anyone is going to spend what these things cost, and then have to use this work-around.

I'm gob-smacked :P , and certainly will not be buying one....